Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hens becoming bald HELP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hens becoming bald HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Hens becoming bald HELP

Hello dears, it's been a while..

I have new birds, 2 hens.. When I bought them you could see they lacked vitamins, the feathers were becoming more and more dull, not beautiful looking.. Soo, I took them home, gave them everything they needed.. and you could see them become more brighter, more beautiful!

But... I think they started with molting, a month ago, or longer.. But now, my hens are now bald at the back of their heads, but 1 in particular, is becoming more and more bald!! It's freaking me out, I already gave them ivomec 2 weeks ago, so tomorrow (thursday) they will be given the second drop.. As I noticed they scratched alot!
I took the feathers to my avian vet, she couldn't see traces of mites she told me.. But gave me the ivomec anyways..
And told me if it doesn't work out I should call her..
But my hen is becoming more bald! her neck is 95% bald, a bit on the top of her chest is bald, now today I noticed she's becoming bald on her buttocks aswell, I also believe a bit of the back.. BUT I also saw today, that she only has 1 long tailfeather left.. the others are not that long..

I"m worried, I only had a male in the past, but he didn't became bald, even with mites!
but my 2 hens are just.... bad looking really.. I feel so sorry for them because I don't know what's going on, maybe moulting?
They have a very varied diet, lot's of fresh food, and fruits, also a seed mix with calcium and minerals in it..
Eggfood,, vitamine drops in the water when they bathe..

can the super boost of vitamins cause this problem??
Because their feathers look really old, and dull, and even horrible, strange that they were so bright and healthy looking and now, after moult,? completely dull, old looking,..

Also!! I noticed with the other hen (which seems to be stable) and not going really bald, only the back of her head..
but she eats poo! o_O I think, I have paper laid out on the bottom on the cage to check up the poo.. but often I noticed that the places where lot's of poo's drop, is eaten away o_O
Never seen this with a bird, only a dog haha!

or could it be stress? I don't know if they pluck their feathers, they just scratch alot and cleaning themselves up..
but my dog is now in a state where he's barking alot,, (he does not come near the birds that often, but his bark is very loud)

Or maybe it's lack of attention? The birds seemed very attached, even in the store, they are not really tame, but you can see they like humans near them, and talking to humans,, because everytime I come home after work, the first thing they do is, running, and flying to me, to say hi, then they get a sunflower seed,, and that's it..
So I don't know if they are handreared, but it really caught my attention that they like human interection so much.. all of the others I know are much more to themselves haha!
so yeah,, maybe stress that they don't get much attention?
They do have lots of toys, and branches, but they barely touch it.. the very first months they played constantly, all they do now, is eat, cleaning feathers, scratch alot, taking naps, eat, and repeat all over again, and every 2 days they take a bath.. :/

Will the feathers grow back? All I can see now, after 2 weeks of ivomec is just bald goosebump skin with no new pins... but I did notice some very small beginnings with the very bald bird at her chest.. but the neck and heads are still very very bald, with no pins.. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: