Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - training/getting him used to me.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

training/getting him used to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: training/getting him used to me.

I have a male kakariki, who i got at 12 weeks old and have had him for about 6weeks now. i am having trouble with trust training and getting him used to my hand. he will come over to me in his cage to talk to me and today was the first time he grabed a treat from my fingers which i had through the bars, but as soon as my hand goes in the cage or sometimes near the cage he will fly off and sometimes get really upset and fly around the cage. i have tried putting his fav food on my palm and just sitting my hand in the cage but he will just fly around my hand but never land on it. also he has never been out for flying time as even when i leave the cage door open he will have a peek but not leave his cage. is there anything i can do to get him to b not affraid of my hand? i have run out of ideas. i no they not a cuddley bird, but i no u can teach them to sit on ur hand etc and i no it takes time, but he seems petrified of my hand and of coming out of his cage. i am completely lost as what to do.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

Patience and more patience than the bird.
A comfy chair, cuppa coffee, a book and a cushion for your arm.
Hold a treat with your arm/ hand still...
A lot is in the treat.....something he will go crazy for... a bit of mint or a caspicum seed....
The 1st few attempts do not leave the treat in the cage or give him....otherwise he will learn patience faster than u.

Also use the treat(s) at very different times, for hand feeding thru the cage bars or door.

A wooden perch on the bottom rung of the door opening gives a comfortable and secure grip for him to perch on and look around outside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

ok, thanks. yeah the longest i lasted was 30-40min as my arm was dead after that and i had to stop. i will use a pillow or towel under my arm. i can do more patients. i didnt no they would like mint, i will get some today hopefully smell will bring him over. do u have any more suggestions on what could b good. he loves apples and well actually i forget the other vegie he went nuts for, but he gets these in his cage as part of daily fresh fruit/vegies which i change so not the same thing each day, so they probably will not work as he knows he gets them in his cage. thanks. i think i need a new book to start reading while waiting for him :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: