Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - When Should I take him to the vet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

When Should I take him to the vet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBelovedArmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: When Should I take him to the vet?

Hello,
I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but I'm not sure where else to post it. I'm looking into getting a kakariki bird next week. The bird I'm looking at is missing the feathers from his head, and while the pet store says he's fine, I'm not so sure he is. So I'll be taking him to the veterinarian for a check-up. The thing is, I'm not sure when. I'd like to take him as soon as possible, but I'm not sure if I should take him the day I get him, or give him a couple days to settle in? If he is sick, I don't want to risk any infection he has spreading to my other pets, but if he's not and the loss of feathers is from an aggressive cage mate and stress then I don't want to stress him out further by driving him all the way to the avian vet. It would be an approximately two and a half hour drive from the store to the vet, as the nearest avian vet is in a different city. But then, taking him on another car trip could be just as stressful, so... To sum my question up, should I take him to the vet right away, or give him some time to settle in?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

NEVER... NEVER purchase ANY pet , espec a bird if it is not in top condition
ESPEC from a pet shop.

Quote:
The bird I'm looking at is missing the feathers from his head, and while the pet store says he's fine,

There is a possibility the bird maybe in moult....which should not have missing feathers , but show a new feathers coming out of the crown.At best , the bird should have bright eyes, stand straight , proud, be very alert
And if in moult, maybe a little scruffy

If not, walk away.
If u dont u WILL end up with heartache , and big vet bills and still end up with no bird/ pet.

I say this with no exaggeration at all

No self respecting breeder or pet shop will sell a substandard bird....period.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I've thought about that - it's why I haven't bought him yet - but this bird has been there for months now. I understand that buying a noticeably unwell bird is... Well, stupid, but I can't stand to see him there any longer. He's obviously suffering where he is, isn't it better to provide him with a home where he will get the care and attention he needs? Especially if it is just a matter of stress, and once in a loving home he gets better? The pet store has said he's healthy, and while I'm not taking their word for it, I've never had them sell a sick animal to me before, so..? I just can't bear him being stuck there anymore, it's not fair for him to suffer in a place that can't provide the proper care.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

At the end of the day it is your call.. but if things start to turn to crap, make the call of what u are going to do NOW and stick to it.

Of all parrots/ birds the least likely to have physical symptoms of stress is kakariki.. if on good diets.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Hey, just curious, did u end up buying that bird?
If so, how is he doing?
My feeling about buying ANY pet that isn't healthy is that it just continues to encourage bad breeders/stores to inbreed/over-breed their animals for the almighty dollar. I feel terrible for these little creatures locked up in little cages too, but I won't give my money to a breeder/store that will then think it's OK to produce and sell unwell animals.
If your heart got the better of you (and I do understand how difficult it is) I am hoping that the little fellow is doing well.
Best wishes to you and the wee birdy.
yvanna1209

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Im a new member her I have a beautiful kakariki since he was at least a fews months old I hand feed him he is now 5 years old … recently our lovebird passed away that was our Kiwi's friend of coarse they were in two different cages but side by side… My sweet Kiwi ( Kakariki) seems depressed he is eating but doesn't talk as much I'm sad for our lose but it pains me to see him so sad too… What should I do ? Please help any advise will be much appreciated. Thanking you in advance. A sad Bird lover Pray [/b]
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

I suggest get getting him a very young male as a companion, preferably as soon as possible after leaving the nest, no iris formed.
Male kakariki instinctively 'uncle' .....take over weaning these young birds.
And another male because if female, eventually they are very likely to pair off, start laying eggs. Which means nesting boxes, or cant stop the female producing eggs... then if produce chicks a aviary to hole them....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: