Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Need help with Eggs not hatching
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Need help with Eggs not hatching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Need help with Eggs not hatching

I have got 2 Kakariki pairs, (1 pair is Cinnamon Male and Yellow Female) (Pair 2 is Yellow Male and Cinnamon green Female) both pair are about 18 month old and I bought them from a Breeder I know.

Since I have bought them, they ve been good , do mate and lay eggs as well (Both pairs normally lay eggs about 7 per cluth) but only 1st pair hatched 2 babies last year.

I have noticed, they love to mate, lay eggs but eggs dont hatch for some reasons. Am I missing something in care or is there any other reason?

I would appreciate genuine help and advice, I don't see any reason as they are active, love to eat and happy as well. Both pairs are in different aviaries next to each others aviary in my garage which is safe and covered.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Diet....varied and consistant everyday
Read the thread "what do u feed...."
Kakariki will eat approx 6 times more chopped veggies than seed.
And on top of that, u have fruit, herbs, meat and bones. puha (milkweed)
basic fruit we feed apple and kiwifruit, then anything thats in season in the garden.. fejoa, persimmon, grapes, guavas, oranges

Protein (meat/ bones cartilage) is a must.
As are the stems of cali and broccoili.

Bodies do not absorb nutrients, mineral etc unless there is a balance... ie iron requires citrus... calcium requires phosphorus... cali broccoli stems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I do feed them with carrots , apples and the diet mixed of all the below things

medium striped and white sunflower, safflower, whole maize, clipped oats, pumpkin seed, flaked peas, puffed maize, papaya, banana, currants, pineapple, apricot, brazil nut kernels, walnut halves, peanuts, monkey nuts, pine nuts, chillies, rosehips, carrot.

Mango, Papaya, Banana and Chili

But still for some reason, Its not doing anything. I do give them fresh grass plants from my garden as well.

I have changed the female and taken out the egg laying female from male and have put it separate in other cage and I ve kept 9 month old female with the male.

Any advice or I shouldn't change the pair?!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

you have not read the thread
"what do u feed...."
Do so.

in your list u dont mention cali/ broccoli nor meat bones.

look at a kakariki claws, they look longer than most other parrot species... because they evolved in a non mammal environment , in many way therefore have evolved with mammal type characteristics, like mice hunting out high protein grubs on the forest floors.

meat and bones left over from your dinner plate chopped up
All the scraps/ peelings from preparing the veggies for your dinner.

Read the thread "what do u feed.... "

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject:

Hi, Thanks for your reply and much appreciated.

I ll do the same now and I checked the page 'What u feed' as well.

It's a medium aviary, I have put another breeding box as well and put 8 month old Kakariki as well, amazingly, the both females have occupied their breeding box and do not intend to use each-others box ....

I ll put left over meat and bones with mixed chop vegetables as well and lets see how it goes.

Please give me any more tips and advice if you have, much much appreciated :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Iy is possible to breed in community flights... on very rare occasions and a flock that has been together for a long time...sometimes.
Other than that having another bird in there is asking for trouble.

The 2 nesting boxes is not for 2 females..
its for the 2nd batch chicks before the 1st batch leaves the nest.
Get things right and a pair will knock out a batch every 8 to 10 weeks with a egg to healthy adult ratio of around 80% for 3 yrs.. non stop
Another reason why consistent healthy diet is essential.. and having facilities to hold a flock of birds... and to "uncle" the young after a couple days out of the nest.

run a word search 2 nesting boxes "quick search" box on the left

And take the advice in the "what do you feed..." re chopping veggies and the meat/ bones etc... if u dont u will end up with consistently cleaning up mess, vermin problems..
Do not keep chopped veggies and chopped meat mixed together in the fridge.[/b]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, the other pair had 7 eggs, she broke them all as well ..... I am really upset as Its been over a year and I ve been feeding them quality food and all fruits but they lay eggs and never hatch and break their eggs after 30 days.

I have removed all breeding boxes and moved them all together in 1 aviary as they all are losing feathers and It's really hot in London as well. I think they need break as well as if they spend lot of time in boxes in this hot and very humid weather then its not good for their health.

I have given them all stuff which you mentioned to me for good diet and is it right decision to keep them all together 5 in total , 3 females and 2 males in a medium cage aviary but no breeding boxes.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

London cant get too hot for kakariki or humid....u need temps well up in the 40 C
Our kakariki breed all yr round for 3 to 5 yrs non stop nps summer temps get up around low 30s and humidity in the 90s

Feather loss that will be mite or similar....
Kakariki with good consistent diet and maintenance the only way , often . to tell idf in moult is by feathers on the floor... if moult untidy then environment / diets / maintenance should be looked at.

Quick search block on the left
invermectin 50/50 soln vinegar apple cider vinegar

breeding caring issues may come back to several generations of the parent having been hand reared instead of nest raised by parents... a common issue for new breeders to source suitably raised parent birds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: