Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - How to remove olive oil
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

How to remove olive oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: How to remove olive oil

Hello! ^_^

Does someone have an idea of how to remove olive oil from his feathers? (wings/belly)
We treated his feet with olive oil, because his feet hurts and some scales at the toes are standing up.
But since he isn't tame he was flapping and kicking, which have lead to oil onto his feathers, and with washing him, the oil went pretty much everywhere.

Does anyone have an idea on how to remove the olive oil???
I don't dare to try soaps, (though yesterday we tried glycerine soap)
But the feathers are still matted together :/

He's getting really unhappy, and is so tired, because washing him and catching him brings alot of stress..
Soo I need to get his feathers back to normal as quickly as possible! :)
So that he can fly again :)

Oh!! Is vaseline toxic for him? If we use that for his feet?? Because he often nibbles, or licks at his toes, to clean up etc.. but I'm scared of poisoning him
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject:

Hi Lindsey
Have you tried vinegar? Wink
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

Peter wrote:
Hi Lindsey
Have you tried vinegar? Wink

Hi Peter,
No I haven't Because I'm scared of using the wrong one, and to remove too much natural oils from his feathers ^^"

I only have "Alcohol-Vinegar" from the local supermarket Delhaize, But I think it's very dangerous to use ^^"
I can't find a normal vinegar ^^"

I'm soo confused of which products to use since there are so many of it ^^"
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject:

Lindsey wrote:

I only have "Alcohol-Vinegar" from the local supermarket Delhaize, But I think it's very dangerous to use ^^"
I can't find a normal vinegar ^^"

I would try this one. Vinegar is always made of alcohol. Apple-vinegar is made of apple-cider. Wine-vinegar is made of wine.
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

Ah! so just try the transparent alcohol vinegar?? but then strongly diluted?
Maybe 1 tablespoon for 1 liter? Or is that too much? :D

An animal rescue person just told me to use "dreft"? They use that for birds who are covered with black oil?
I asked him if it wouldn't be too dangerous, because of the chemicals etc.. ?
But he said, they always use that for birds covered with oil :/
And if I rinse it very good, there shouldn't be a problem..

I'm so scared signlol!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

This is a captive bird in a controlled environment...as are birds from oil spills... and they are not simply cleaned and released back because they dont have water proofing on the feathers anymore.

Bit of dish wash and warm water, shampoo if u like .....and rinse him off real well then let the miserable little guy dry out in the sun...
Yeah they look real miserable for w while.
Then put bit olive oil and or palm oil in his feed. veggies....
Give him garden mint, and out spices with oil....and a few fatty chopped left over chicken bones over the next few days

He will be a happy chappy for days, wiping natural insecticides off the herbs thru his feathers, and the bits oils around, and still have a good supply being consumed to keep his oil sacks going.

We had a bird that mis judged his landing on the side of a open paint tin when doing up the kitchen....he fell RIGHT in.. then swam in the oil based paint....

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steptoe :)

Yeah, he is looking really miserable! I feel like a bad owner now Sad
He's soo tired (sleeping alot) he also can't have a good rest, because we can't place him to another room where it is quiet, the rooms are too cold, and we don't have heatings there, So I hope he will keep fighting, and gain his strength back :/

As for the chickenbones, and garden mint etc.. he won't eat it, he doesn't know it, doesn't eat vegetables yet.. :/
He only likes his fruit, so now I gave him his seeds, dried egg food, multivitamines in his drinking water, millet.

I'm also put the red heating light above him, (but when may it be turned off? when the feathers are looking normal again?? Or when he has some oil back on it's feathers?
Could it be, that he only gets his healthy feathers back from the next moulting??
Or, does the oil come back on it when he is preening his feathers?

But If I leave him alone, so that he can rest, and if he keeps eating and drinking will he be okay?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

If a bird, hoese , dog , person or tree... has a good balanced and consistent diet they can recover from almost anything
But if the diet is lacking the essential nutrition it requires... in this case oils...then there could be issues.

If a person is 'trained' to eat junk food, then they will have health issues, from skin problems to obesity and resistance to disease etc.. and the same applies to all living creatures.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

......and excercise Wink
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject:

Yes, I understand ^^" I'm trying to let him eat new foods, but no luck yet ^^" but I will keep trying though!
I also think it's very important to get a balanced diet :)

But, Monday, I will have to go to an avian vet. Because we noticed black spots in his feathers all of a sudden.. And then I searched for all mites, and his symptomes are very much alike!
And I examined some feather who just fell out, and at 2 feathers I discovered a tiny dark brown/reddish spider creature.

I believe I now found the cause of his illness, (my local vet didn't searched for parasites, I even told her he scratches alot, but she told me it could be from his moulting, and he should get a treatment for worms)
(I didn't gave him the medicine, since he was soo tired, and my gut told me there was something else going on, something she didn't examine, and now after washing him with some soaps, to get rid of the olive oil, we see more spots appear, (black) but they don't seem to crawl, or at a very very slow pace, .. but the new vet will give him a full proper check up, and search for things under the microscope etc.

So I hope he will get better!

Because now, he's eating and drinking normally (maybe more drinking since he's under the red light) he is getting active when it is time to eat, but after.. he goes back to sleep. :/

But doesn't talk or sing yet, I miss his voice Sad
Could it be, that while holding him for washing that the vocal area may got irritated?? Or is it normal that when they are not themselves that hey don't talk or sing?? (I hope it will come back) !!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

Do a forum search on apple cider vinegar, mites , and invermectin.
Which I think goes back to Peters original vinegar post.
And ask your your money back from the vet for incompetence.

Just because some ppl have a bloody degree dosnt mean the have common sense or are competent

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
And ask your your money back from the vet for incompetence.

Just because some ppl have a bloody degree dosnt mean the have common sense or are competent

Yes, I'm going to let her know that she was totally doing wrong things, :/
Still haven't received the medical bill yet.
I almost fainted and bursted into laughter today with the new avian vet!
I said what was going on, and how much I have to pay.. she was like "what?! sorry, but it's just a rip-off! I don't ask much for a check up, or a visit because they are just small beings! In the end you will probably have to pay 30 euros, for all the costs.. but 150-200 euros.. for just 2 visits and medicine? come on.. " she said

Today I had to pay for the "Ivomec" 1 euro?? (If I went to my old vet, I would have probably paid 7-10 euros or more!!

Oh well,.. I just hope my bird won't give up -_- I now have him for 4 months, but has really made me happy! So I can't imagine a life without it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: