Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Bird's claw/leg is in pain
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Bird's claw/leg is in pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Bird's claw/leg is in pain

Hello dear Kakariki owners! ^_^

I have a problem with my Kakariki, he's now 9 months old, turning 10 at the end of this month.
I'm from Belgium, so English isn't my native language, but I'll do my best to explain it all.

A week ago, I noticed really strange behaviour.. there was something with his eye, (on the right side) held it half open, and sometimes he couldn't bear some light on that eye.
The day before he was all active, happy and singing, but the next day, totally the opposite!!

Sat on his perch, very tired, then when he climbed down his movement were slow, like he was weak.. then I noticed he pulled his right foot up in the air, looked at it, nibbled at it, grabbed something in the air (it was also the side where his eye seemed to have something).
He also bit at the bars of his cage.. and waving his paw like mad..
Where ofcourse he almost lost his balance. So to me it seemed like it hurts alot, but also like, he couldn't see his foot?? it was really strange!!

Then I noticed, when he wanted to turn right to step on another perch,.. he couldn't do it.. he tried and tried,. and eventually it worked, but walked very stiff!
Then he wanted to walk side-ways, you know? But some moments, he couldn't lift his foot, or he had to lean very much to the left, to pull it up..

My vet told me, that he could have a viral infection, which is also affecting his nervous system?? like his muscles etc, because when she tested his claws for strength the right side was weaker..
So she prescribed antibiotics for 6 days, and after a few days, it went alot better! Only, she had accidentally clipped his nail to short because he was struggling ^^"
So it was also bleeding a bit.
Then whe I changed the hot lights (to keep him warm) I noticed difference again.. less active, sleepy.. but still he is eating well, flies, and talkes from time to time, sometimes dances..

But now he is off from the medicine for 4 days, and his foot is again looking stiff, it seems it's hurting him again, is sleepy, but he did flew in his cage today, and eat and drank.. I just noticed when he was walking on the ground that he was limping a bit.. yesterday.. he was all fine! because he walked on the ground etc, climbed well.. but today it's bugging him again.

I also notived that his perches might be too wide, too big to grasp.. because his toes reach only half of the perch, (with the nails it's a bit further) but yes.. they are clipped too short! :/

And the funny thing is, sometimes it's like he has nothing, and all of a sudden he's limping again, or, his foot is pulled up into his feathers, I don't know what it could be, I feel so horrible.. Can he die from it???

I really don't want to loose him.. Crying or Very sad

I mean, at times he dances and is very active etc, and there are days when he is not really interested/tired, I feel desperate :/
And he's my first Kakariki, and only have him 3 months now soo, I've been twice to the vet already, one time to be sure he hasn't got worms when I bought him.. because he was a bit fluffy.. and now with these strange things, and leg Sad He's so young, and I really hope we can be together for many years!!

I hope you can help me! (Oh and I also found a bird veterinarian.. Maybe that's a bit better.. because in my area, there is only one vet for birds only.. and others are 2 hours driving, which is sooo stupid Sad That's why I feel so bad because I can't bring him that far Sad )
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Only, she had accidentally clipped his nail to short because he was struggling ^^"

She should NEVER have trimmed the claws Period
Kakariki ill sheed. nip of their claws IF get too long
And kakariki do have claws that appear 'over grown' naturally

Quote:

So why did she not cortorise it with a silver nitrate cotton bud?
This is a very cheap quick painless , prevent infection, std method.

Quote:
I also noticed that his perches might be too wide, too big to grasp..

No.. if they ate between about 25mm and 100mm they are good.
Kakariki naturally spend most of their time on the ground forging for grubs, and when in threes on larger branches unless feeding

Quote:
My vet told me, that he could have a viral infection.....So she prescribed antibiotics for 6 days

Antibiotics do not fix virus infections.. be it a bird or a person, what ever.
If there is secondary bacterial infection then yes, but she would have said so.

Im wondering if your kakariki has had a stroke or pulled a ligament in the hip or knee???
Also has mites....
Run a site search for " apple cider vinegar " and " invermection " and mites
Doing so you will also find these methods will also sort worms and may very well sort any virus infection out.
And if has mites

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm observing him now, and it really is his foot or leg.. :/

bites a bit at it, looks at it, and limping,

How do you know if he has mites? :o

Anyways, I will see her again today, and tell her what you just wrote me (y)
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

So why did she not cortorise it with a silver nitrate cotton bud?
This is a very cheap quick painless , prevent infection, std method.

She came to my house, with emergency, and when it bled, she used "Eosine Aqueuse" some red stuff which disinfect the wound.. :/
She was doing her tour, and normally she wouldn't have come, so she only had limited stuff with her (for bigger animals) but not for birds..

But I shall tell her what you just wrote to me, could it maybe also be that he needs the calcium/phosfor things??

I will also tell her, if it maybe tore a ligament or something :/
Lindsey
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject:

She just came to check up on my bird, and I was right, he had a small wound underneath his foot, (she called it "Bumblefoot").
Now he has to take antibiotics and another product..

And we have to check the wound now and then to see if it's not getting worse..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Mites from you post it sounded like there was an eye area irritation..
Read the information and note the part about preventive care... maintenance.

Bumble foot... this is caused by inappropriate perches and floors in birds cages and poor diet...
search perches the perches that come with a cage need to be thrown away and replaced with branches as described above and else where in these forms.
Floor should have area where they dont need to walk on wires... but keep[ areas around food trays water bowls and 'poo corners' open Poo cnrs , u will notice parrots tend to poo in 1 spot creating mounds below that spot.

Damage to the sole of the foot, then secondary infection sets in, and this then becomes increased usually due to hygiene (read about vinegar cleaning cages etc)and poor diet... Diet because they dont get the vitamins and nutrients to prevent and fight infection.
look for a thread here "what do u feed...."

Once the infection goes deep it gets into the joints...and once there becomes serious

All our birds eat over 6 times non seed food to seed food by weight.. fresh veggies , meats fruit

I do not understand how she could cut toe nails and miss a common case of 'bumble foot' when the issue was primarily to do with feet and legs.

And as far as the silver nitrate goes... most vets have that in case things go wrong... very quick and effective....if not silver nitrate also super glue used by emergency services and doctors on occasions.... and then there is the old flour trick or the old bush man use of kerosene... which doesn't sting.

eosin is the dye that makes petrol red and used for dying organic stuff for inspection under a microscopic

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm quite confused though, because I clean his cage every week, and if it becomes too messy, I'll do it 2 a week, and his perches are Always clean o_O (I also clean then very often) .. and the Original perches that came with the cage, are thrown away, I bought bigger ones, ..

As for the bottom, it is a flat surface, with drawers, and those are filled with shellsand, .. :/
I am looking indeed for branches, But I don't know where to look, since those trees don't grow here that much ^^"
And if they come from the Woods/ or other place, I'm scared that they might bring parasites aswell you know? I read somewhere, that the branches need to be cooked?? to kill bacteria??
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

Never cooked a branch....
just pick up off the forest. mist spray with vinegar.. include that maintenance in your cleaning program.
And the apple cider vinegar in their consistent balanced diet .
All covered in old posts on the subject.

Kakariki well raised and cared for are one .. well are the most hardy birds I know of.

Quote:
since those trees don't grow here that much ^^"

u dont have trees?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:

Quote:
since those trees don't grow here that much ^^"

u dont have trees?

We do have trees, but not suitable onces for birds, Because you need to have branches from willows, of from apple trees ,..

And most of the trees here are sprayed with pesticides etc :/

In our region, most willows grow in the garden of people.. it's kind of strange to ask them, but I can try signlol!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

So u dont have forest or a wood? wher u can pick up a dead branch off the ground?
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
So u dont have forest or a wood? wher u can pick up a dead branch off the ground?

I thought other wood species were/ or might be toxic?? That's why I'm not keen on using them, unless it is proven to be really safe.. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: