Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What do u feed your Kikes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What do u feed your Kikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I have discussed this in old threads... We have experimented with many poisonous plants with the view that if these captive breed over many generations bird got into the wild , would they die because eating poisonous fruit.
Also most of these plants / fruits were introduced plants from other parts of the world
After what one can only describe as a very quick investigation, they then never went back to those branches hanging in the end of the flight...and they where in the flight for 4 or 5 days...

And as to ppl loosing escapees... 9 time out of 10 they dont, but rather scare the poor little birds away with their panicking antics.
When a bird escapes, remain calm and quiet... the bird goes and perches in a high ish sort of place, do not disturb it as it is orienteering its self in its surroundings... getting its bearings...land marks....
It will always consider its cage as its secure and safe home... so pout it outside in an open space where it can see it... maybe tie a trip string to the door and go to work for the day.

A saying my Grandfather had decades ago..."count to 10 REEAALL SLOOOWLLYY... then panic in a orderly civilized manner."

Last edited by Steptoe on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject:

The proplem of the genus prunus is that they contain cyano-glycosides, this compounds change to cyanic acid if eaten from most animals.

On one hand cyanic acid is very toxic but on the other hand it's a perfect antioxidans, too. So always there is a range from "good for health" to toxic. It s a question of the dose of the drug. Apple seeds. flaxseeds .. .. are containig those cyono-glycosides , too.
cyono-glycosides are compounds disigned by the nature to prevent seed from to be eaten. Some animal adapted to this question of evolution. Parrots (Kakariki) as seedeaters are able to stand much more cyanic compounds as .. for example humans.. . But there are no valid studies of the dose they would stand, and for myselve i do not see my birds as participants of a study.
So small amounts could be good for health, and greater deadly, but the definition of "greater" is not given.
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Laughing Gents, Cheers for the information, as always like all things in life, everything in moderation.
Blu skies and sunshine
Sean
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: sweetcorn and peas

i had a question.. for feeding sweetcorn.. Usually when I buy it for myself I use canned sweetcorn. For the kikes is that dangerous ?, should it be fresh ? because in Belgium it is not easy to find that. same question about peas etc.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Well caned sweet corn and peas are generally way over cooked before u even open the can... part of the canning process...
Dont see it would be an issue, other than most the nutrients would be damaged...
Surely u can get frozen peas and sweet corn ?
Thats all we use

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject:

i can get frozen peas.. sweetcorn may be, should check the market. do you just unfreeze it and give veggies uncooked or also cook the veggies?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject:

Im sure I have posted this before
Chop fresh veggies into approx pea sizes... reduces amount and wastage, saves lot time in cleaning...
and use a very sharp knife...as a chef or butcher would use.. sharp cuts makes the food last much longer.
Then add the frozen peas and sweet corn and mix in well ASAP... this drops the temp of the cut veggies stopping the natural deterioration process.
Then store in the fridge...a good fridge will last 4 days

Frozen veggies in this country are free flow, pourable out of the bag, not one big frozen lump

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your forum discussions - they are really helpful as I got my first Kakariki in mid December.

I have tried to give her very small/chopped up green food (peas, sweetcorn, beans & leaves) as described in the these posts.
However, she refuses to eat these, even when this is the only food I give her - she waits until the seed mix comes back. I'm worried this way she is not getting a varied enough diet.

She must be happy enough as she is on her 7th egg in the last few weeks (its only her, so from other posts I think she likes us Laughing ) but she has started scratching her neck and is loosing feathers there.

Do you have any tips on how to encourage her to eat her greens? Also any tips on scratching her neck feathers?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

The problem is when captive birds are raised they are hand feed with commercial hand raising formula or raised by parants on non natural or incorrect diets.
It can take months weaning birds onto a natural balanced diet... no different to getting children raised on crap. junk food to eat healthy good food..
Use the quick search box on the let for "weaning"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject:

In sure it's probably been covered before but when I type in garlic it brings up a whole bunch of answers! I just wanted to know how to feed my kak garlic - should I leave as a clove or crush and mix with other herb and veg?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

Crush or chopp finely and mix in with the chopped veggies / herbs as described further back in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, Henry has had a lovely veggie and herb mix this morning with mixed in crushed garlic and he loves it. Thanks again xxx
Lydiab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Ok so question about this, I notice he doesn't like any veg basically, I don't know if it's because i don't a large amount of raw veg. What can i do to fix this?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Its usually because they have been reared on a diet more suited for the traditional parrot/ seed diets of the rest of the world species... not under standing just how uniquely many of our NZ species have evolved... without mammals.. behaviour right thru to diet.
Its like raising children on a certain diet,be it junk food, or of a certain part of the world.. then pout a different diet in front of them... even as adults and they will not eat it.
And like different populations around the world, the variations in diets from the normal overall balanced diet usually results in everything from shortened life span to inherent health issues.
And like children .. 'weaning' them of say a high sugar, fat, commercial processed carbohydrate with inherent dibeities, obesity and other health issues takes a little discipline, and introducing good options and removing junk food over a period of time
It has take us between 3 and 6months to get some birds to an acceptable balance....and others where raised by parents who are on good diets eat very little seed, near any at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:

Hello,

I've my yellow crowned within a planted aviary, in fact it's a part of our garden. It is in the outerpart some around 15m in length and at the highest against 5m. It contains besides little trees, shrubs, herbages and gras a little pond with waterplants, amphibian and last but not least water-snails.

All the birds (C.auriceps) regularly visit this pond not onyl for drink and bath but also to pick out of the water the green alga and other water plants and to catch the watersnails. They than take them and eat a bit of the shells and the snail itself out of the shell.
While beginning of breeding especially the female is all the time very busy to search for these snails so i'm forced to add every week new snails from my bigger ponds.

There is a list of all the things on my site i could observer my Kakies are eating over the years besides the base parakeet seed food.
It contains things like: tree sap from the plum tree:
http://erabo.de/aqua/Cyanoramphus/auriceps#Nahrung

The site is in german but by translate.google like in the following link it should relsult into an inerpretable english:
The site autotranslated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: