Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - new bird to my flock
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

new bird to my flock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deshud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: new bird to my flock

I have added a 6 month old yellow fronted hen to my flock (which presently only includes 2 male red fronted, one normal, one cinnamon). Bo, my new baby, is suppose to be in quarantine, but she keeps sneaking out of her cage, and into the "kak " only bird room. 3 times I found her in their cage. I am worried about aggression, especially from bam bam, he's my 2 year old parent raised kak, semi tamed. I think Luigi ( my 8 year old cinnamon) will be fine. I quickly removed Bo back to "quarantine". My plans were to slowly introduce Bo to the boys after quarantine, but I kind of screwed up the quarantine process wall I got her from the pet store, and she is hand tamed, doesn't bite, and already steps up. She's a wonderful bird. Her wings aren't and will not be clipped, niether are the others. My goal is for all three birds to eventually live in the bird room 24/7. Obviously I cannot breed them, as the hen is yellow fronted and the boys are red fronted, so no nests, increased llighting, nesting material, ect, and it there's any eggs, they get tossed. My question is, will the 2 males fight over the lone female, should I try to get another hen so they won't fight ( I won't breed them). So far, the short time they were together, things seemed okay, but I know how quick things change. They are all full flighted and have a regular bedroom as they're aviary. Their cage door is always open, they just sleep and eat in it. Eventually I intend to continue to add to my flock, I realize they like to be in colonies. I don't know if I will ever breed them, if I do, I will remove them to breed.

Any suggestions? Kaks are very addicting!!

Debbie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject:

Introducing a single adult bird into such a situation is usually difficult and can often end in heart break....
And if that bird is hand raised, which means has lost , no, never been exposed to natural kakariki social interactive/ social rules...that usually causes even greater issues.

If introducing several there is usually no issues other than establishing pecking order.
Or introducing birds that are not fully weaned is not an issue.

Even thu u have no nesting boxes etc , they will pair off anyway(If things go well) kakariki when there are no nesting boxes often are not very fussy
you will then have the issue of the other male as 'outsider and territorial issues.

Overall what u are trying to do I would only do..and have.. when have extensive facilities flights and aviaries as perminate alternative.. plan B options

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I just found an ad for 2 more yellow fronted one year old kaks looking to be rehomed. would it be better to get those 2, and then introduce all 3 new ones after quarantine, or would that cause more problems. Plus, that means I would have 5, and read I should never have odd number of birds.

I just feel so bad for this little bird, she really wants to go to the boys room <v> She was calling out to them today
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Odd number of birds not good? havnt heard that one before
But with most species that have territorial tendencies, 2 males and a female or visa versa can cause problems but 3 males or 3 females , nah
Once one gets up to 5 birds + pairing off and issues become less..

yes u have afar better chance putting the new birds together at the same time in new environment to all of them... then introduce them in bulk.
make sure u have more than enough perches at different heights and spaced out well..

We experimented a few years back as how many one can keep in a given space...there is an old thread and pics way back somewhere.
Anyway the flight was 2.4m wide x 1.2m deep and 2m high.. we ended up with mid 20s kakariki... the only issue which limited , was pollution levels... ie keeping fresh water food, and removing of the old far more often.
Other than that was a very impressive flight espec being side on view rather than deep

Oh and once we got around 10 birds in there we found adding 1 or 2 at a time not a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Good to know, so five birds should be fine. I don't even know if these 2 new kaks are males or females. All I know is that their names are popcorn and peanut. I assumed they were male or female. Would it cause a problem if they're both female, or both male ? I sure hope they're not both male. 4 males with one female must not be good. Shame on you

So, If I can afford it, I think it would be good to get the other 2 birds. I really didn't want 5, but it is a big room and they have plenty of flight space. I just have to remodel it.

If I can't get the other two, I think after quarantine, I will let Bo with the boys supervised, then she'll go back into her cage unsupervised, for awhile anyways. Then go from there.

Thank you for your advice, it's very helpful.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject:

If these 2 birds have paired off that is likely to cause issues at every stage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I have an update. I didn't get the pair. I figured three kaks were enough for me. I have learnt a lot about kaks over the last year. They're not good "pet, caged birds" They belong in an aviary with a lot of flight time. Since they're in their bird room with their cage doors always open, they're doing well. But I think three is enough for me, they do require a lot of attention. I was going to breed kaks, but I think as they become popular, and they will, there will be a lot of kaks on kijji/craigs list being rehomed, because " I don't have the time to care for them". I don't want to add to unwanted bird population. Don't get me wrong, I love my kaks, will never give them up, but right now three is enough for me!

Bo, my newest addition is doing VERY well. She is spending more time with the boys in the bird room, and so far, no fighting. She'll even go into their cage and eat their food. At night, I have to go and get her, she is in another cage or in the closet at night, she won't sleep in their cage. I think I will move her cage in the bird room, and keep in open when I am home, when I am away, and at night, I will put her in her cage. I still don't trust the three of them together. I have 3 cages in the bird room with open doors, so everyone has a choice of cages.

As I am getting more birds, I will probably move my red bellies (after quarantine) or my brownhead in the birdroom, but they will always be in their cage, I will not let them free fly with my kaks.

If I had more space and time, I would diffinelty get more kaks.I love their personality and attitude. They are great birds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: