Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Sexing kakariki
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Sexing kakariki
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EDC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Sexing kakariki

Hi, I've bought a kakariki today but I'm not too sure on the sex of it. I've been told that it might be a male but no one seemed too sure.
Could anyone help?
Hope the picture is clear enough.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.08 KB
 Viewed:  110 Time(s)

image.jpg

EDC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:

please help?
Gunnsa
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject:

Hello and w3c to the forum! I would say that your bird is a male. Is there a reason he looks a bit scruffy or is he just going through a moult?
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject:

It's a girl w3c
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject:

I could not say for sure from that pic...
I would be very concerned as to how scruffy/ poor condition that bird is in....that is way too scruffy for moult....

I would have never brought a bird in such a obviously poor condition, and to boot it appears the be a hybrid between 2 species, a big no no.
Take it back ......the chances are you will have an expensive experience with at the end, the bird having a short life span... we see this so often with sub quality birds.....grief
Sry about the bluntness, but thats the realty

use the quick search block on the left for info on worming invermectin, apple cider vinegar and read the long thread "what do you feed....."

It is very rare a post goes unanswered, I think u could count them on 1 hand over the last approx 10yrs....with many thanks from experienced members over the yrs
Please be aware that we live in different time zones , have jobs, families so please give at least 24 hrs before bumping a thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Hey thanks for your answers.. Yeah he's/she's going through a moult stage.. The guy who sold it said it should be fine in about 2 weeks or so.. Will take him to the vet just to get it all checked out. I'm just more concern on k owing what the gender is, because I wanted a male so I could try and teach it to talk but know that females are rare to talk.. About the hybrid, what does that mean?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject:

With over 1000 kakariki under our belts, we have never had a kakariki moult that bad or even close to it......a LITTLE scruffy at the most.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Brought him to the vet today and yes he agrees that he's very scruffy so he's treating him for mites and also said he's very skinny so we also changing his diet.. We have only had him for 3 days so he said just to see how things go.. Thank you for your advice steptoe. Are you able to give your opinion on what sex you think he is? And also he has a tag on him and was wondering if you know of any websites that I can put in the information to find out more about him?..
Thanks again for your help
EDC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about the two post, having connection problems..
Here is another photo of him/her might be a bit more clear.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.58 KB
 Viewed:  95 Time(s)

image.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject:

Male....
I stress again...
its is a sick, bad condition bird and of hybrid breed
bottom line .. to put it bluntly... a reject bird of obvious bad lineage and the issue is unlikely to be caused by bad diet but something wrong internally...which eventually will cost u a lot of money, ending in heart break... the bird dieing
Return it

This is a bird that should have and would have been culled by ANY reputable/ respected breeder.....but as we keep on saying in these forums, there are way too many breeders who 1st and foremost have dollar signs for eyeballs.
I go further, It is very unlikely any reputable breeder would have breed that bird in the 1st place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject:

Im happy it’s a male as I wanted a male.
Do you really think i should return it? or maybe wait a bit to see if things get better? :/.. i feel bad in returning it. When i got him, he was the only one left so i didnt really have much choice to pick and i didnt really see how bad the feathers were until i got him in the cage.. The vet has had a look at him and we are treating him for mites cus he is really scruffy. He was in an aviary with other type of birds/parrots and there were also quails at the bottom.
Have you got any pictures of kakarikis going through a moult stage? So i could maybe compare to have a vague idea of what it should look like.
The vet did say to give it two weeks and so did the guy who I bought it from to see if the feathers get better. Do you think its worth having a blood test or something?..
Sorry for all the questions im only 17 and its the first time ive bought one. I did do a lot of research beforehand and everything, so i wasnt expecting any of this to happen. Also ive only ever had a budgie before. So this is quite a step up.
Thanks again for your advice, i appreciate it a lot.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Do you really think i should return it? or maybe wait a bit to see if things get better? .. i feel bad in returning it.
Quote:

OK u are only 17...toughen up

I have said so several times now about returning

If someone sold u a dud car, or laptop, would u feel bad then?... so what is the difference?We have had so many threads like this and we know where they always go... dead bird a few months later, and a lot of vet bills.

I repeat there is no way a reputable breeder would ever put a bird like that up for sale, let alone give the damn thing away.
And when .. noter "when" it dies in a few months later the breeder comes up with... oh it has lived this long maybe u feed it something wrong, or eat something it shouldn't have... knowing full well that it is very unlikely u will fork out for a full autopsy that will cost many time more than what the bird is worth......and that will show something like defective kidneys, or bowl , or heart.

A kakariki in moult looks a litle like a good healty kakariki and if look close can see a few pin feathers around the crown.....
Now I cant see ANY pin feathers on your bird at all
Its a hybrid.. good for nothing, other than culling.

I cant make it any more plainer than that.[/b]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject:

If you keep him and its a boy he may just start repeating your words if you talk to him enough. That's what ours did but then he stopped the singing that he came with. Where do you keep him? If indoors and you let him out watch out for mirrors and windows. Ours has started bathing on the floor or in the cat's bowl and then realises he can't fly back to bed. Very amusing.
EDC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject:

Yeah I talk to him a lot! I keep him inside my room and every time I walk in I go to the cage talk to him give him a few treats just so he gets used to me.. He has really starting talking yet, he only makes a load chuckling sound in the morning. Yeah there are no mirrors around and I've covered the windows when he's out..
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject:

Windows / mirrors CAN be an issue when there is good distance and they get upto full flying speed....
I suggest net curtains or have a gap that lets light in they can go investigate. learn about the invisible barrier , know where it is and then u will have no issues at all having curtains open.
W have kept house parrots for many years... never wing clipped... and they roam/ fly 24/7 inside the house.....we have some big windows , big mirrors and rooms (not hallways) upto 9m long... and enclosed long outside decks with glass doors at the ends where wild birds often hang out.
Yes had a few birds hit the panels but never any damage to them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: