Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - How to introduce for kaks to the flock
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

How to introduce for kaks to the flock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deshud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: How to introduce for kaks to the flock

I live in northern canada, where it gets kind of cold. No outdoor aviary for me Crying or Very sad However, I live by myself in a four bedroom house. I own several different types of parrots, but my favourite are the kaks. I have 2 male kaks ( one is about 5 years- cinnamon, and the other is turning 2 ( normal red front). They have a large flight cage they share, but the doors are never closed as they have their own room. They free fly, they even have free fly time out of their room. I used to have caged finches in there as well, but they are all rehomed now, the kaks are by themselves, and loves it. It's just a room for now, I have to redesign it to make it an awesome indoor wireless aviary.

That's enough about me. The reason I am posting, I would like to get more kaks and have that room only for kaks. After quarantine, what's the best way to introduce the new birds? It's difficult to find kaks here, I have to get a lot flown in, so it's expensive. I can get a couple locally now.
After quarantine, do I put them in the room in their cages for a couple of days to see how they react? Does it matter, male to female, should I have an equal number?

I am fifty/fifty about breeding. Once I expand my flock, should I put a couple of nest boxes in, or will that create problems? If I do breed, do I colony breed ( I am worried about interbreeding) or cage breed?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I have only caged bred (finches) and my other 2 parrots are in a cage in different rooms.

I would love to have one room for my kaks .. I heard they can be prolific breeders, so if they do breed, I think I might try hand raising, or do both-shared parent and hand breeding. I would like to sell tame baby kaks. I know I will have to rehome them or I will end up with a lot.

Any suggestions or comments? I do have a lot of spare cages and rooms, so if the birds get aggressive or sick, I can seperate them. I'm just wondering what's the best way to introduce new members to 2 male kaks that has been together in the same room for a year and a half.
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject:

Hi,
sorry i answer so late, but time flies so fast...

Introducing a kak to a flock always may solve problems... .

We do it the way you discribed, the new animals have the chance to make contact from a separated own cage, than they are allowed to fligh with the other birds at day until we decide its o.K for the night...

Most kakariki are compatible to a flock, but always there's the chance for haevy fights, particularly when there is a dominant pair.

Kakariki-pairs fight for their territory, both hen and cock.

Always you must have a place to separate kaks from the other, when you try to introduce new birds of the same species!

At the time we care for 10 kakariki living in a birdroom disigned for their belonings. One pair lives in a aviary separted from the flock of the other 8 ones. O.K why ... The separated birds are Bibo and Polly, Biibo is a very dominat cock, always fighting with other kaks - one day we found him lying in his blood. Another Kak bite his flight 4 times, so he never will be able to fligh again, over one week we hoped he will survive...

at day 8 kaks are living in the rest of the birdroom (20 m2), but for the night another pair is sapareted because the surch for sleeping places are to heavy, when those birds are in contact with the other 6.

This way there is harmony in the "kakariki-flock" --- "-" because Kakariki are no birds living in a flock in breedingtime.

So, it's better not to place a breeding-house in the bird-room, extreme fights for this place would cause wounds.

Kakariki like to have save sleepingplaces you may use cork or plastic - somethig tubular. Pleace place them nearly at the same high.

There is no need to care only for pairs, but it's better.
We care for 4 pairs 3 rc and 1 yf. 1 cock lost his hen because of a tumor nearly one year ago, but he is older than 15 and there is a problem to find him a hen. The other single bird is a male kakariki-hybrid, but by the way, he loves my wife more than other birds...

Here a video of the first free flying of butch with the other birds , our hybrid-kak -- please keep cool. every contact starts this way <v>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5hK3AT_pL4

If you whant to introduce multiple birds, please try it at the same time, aggression of your "old" birds wouldn't treatnot only one bird this time, but the whole new group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: