Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What do u feed your Kikes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What do u feed your Kikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manders
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject:

Anybody noticed that kaks love grass? they keep it mowed like a bunch os sheep. sometimes we pull up a handfull, roots, weeds and all and throw it in the aviary, they go mad for it.
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject:

Yup, I've noticed.

http://youtu.be/c6AedaYIURY

Those aren't my birds by the way.
CharchiesMum

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject:

hi everyone

My kaks love cooked, chopped up chicken carcasses above all else, fruit/vege etc that they are given. I include a small handful, every second day with their fresh food. Is this too often? they also love pork chop bones chopped up every so often as well
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject:

Thats basic what we have been doing for the last near decade.
Protein... they need that protein not as a trewat but part of their main diet.
I nuke the frozen chicken carcass for 12 mins, then chop up with a cleaver into pea sizes.... this minimizes waster/ pollution and gives them access to the marrow, cartage also

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject:

hi,

i am from belgium so i don't know all the english words. capsicum, is this red paprika or the red pepper ?? secondly does someone can tell me where to find puha and silverbeet?? thirdly dandelion, the yellow flowers right ? i think they grow next to the roads. i can just take them there, clean them and put them in the cage ??

thank you for helping me !!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Capsicum has been discussed in old threads, in Europe I believe they are peppers...the very mild peppers
Puha.. we had a NZ kakariki gentle man visit a kakariki breeder in Belguim, and as they discused "puha" it was pionted out in the garden as a weed u call milk weed.
Silver beer, a close relation to beet root, except it doesnt have a ig root, and the leaves/ stems used similar to cabbage (which puha can also be used the same)
Dandelion, yes all parts of the plant.. leaves, stems flowers and roots.

We chop them up, as described further back in this thread.
Cheers
Steps

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject:

kirsty,

I remember when I lived in Belgium there are a lot of small green meadows, if you go for a hike in the outskirts of a city you can probably find dandelion and other similar weeds in meadows or tree groups.

Maybe I'm a bit picky, but I don't like grabbing stuff from the roadside, lots of car exhaust residues, dog pee, etc... (but probably it's just I'm a bit over the top with that kind of stuff, I guess if you wash it properly they should be fine)

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:

Some tips via video

fresh food for kakariki:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Ks_DQAbQw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUQUfpKvukvpY4gn7TdKVyg

hornbeam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_IDJks9sM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUQUfpKvukvpY4gn7TdKVyg

Acaena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXfQkCwuUdc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUQUfpKvukvpY4gn7TdKVyg
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject:

Good looking birds..
Feeding like that is OK if have the time to clean up keep clean.
IE dont work long hours, have a couple 1000 sq meters of gardens and lawns to look after, spoutings , buildings to keep maintained, then maintenance on 3 daily used cars , plus the vintage and classic cars, then the boat upkeep and time to get out fishing. signlol.

Hence the method I meation way back and clean up about every 3 weeks even though feed fresh veggies every day.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:

Feeding like that is OK if have the time to clean up keep clean...

Oh, ... ... ...
the kaks have their own room to do what the nature thought them to do.
One thing .. we know now - they do not need us, ... ... ... but the birds live their live the best way we are able to spend them Laughing
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject:

... 15 minutes aromatherapy - i'm so sorry that smelling can't be digitalisized
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject:

Georg, those videos are excellent, thank you for taking the time to recording them and then share them in youtube.

Danke!!!

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject:

pabloc wrote:

Danke!!!

Thank You!

Filming is the job of my wife, i like to photographe and to do the jobs at the pc... Laughing

Here are some new pictures showing the variety of food our kakariki are demanding. Oh they are very unlucky if we do not care for enough and rich freshfood <v>

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject:

Like I have always said.. its about consistent variety

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: New to this awsum site

Speak to the hand Hi All,Sean from South australia here, im new too this awsum place of information and knowledge, I have recently and may i say proudly acquired two awsum characters in my family , Rongo and Tahni.
Heres a lucky story for you, Unfortunately the temporary cage they are in till the aviary is finalised, was knocked over and they escaped, only to land in a nearby black olive tree, of which they went too town on the abundant fruit, thats when where my heart went into my stomach .
Fortunatley due to family contact and training thus far Rongo was able to be held and caught when offered food , even better was the outcome As Tahni being the curious mimicker to Rongo followed him to the cage.phew
My question is in regards to black olives, im not sure if these are of the "prunus" variety of tree, and ive read that any fruit from "Prunus" could be harmfull, are these in any way detrimental to theyre diet and health??
Cheers to all and I eagerly await any advice
Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: