Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Sex and Mutation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Sex and Mutation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Sex and Mutation

Hi Guys I am new here but can you all help me out with some Kaka's I got today from a breeder.
Here are the pics I am thinking the two yellows are males and the other two are hens can you confirm this and ID the Mutations plz?

Thanks guys and gals!!

DSC01628.JPG
 Description:
I think the yellows(males) are bigger then the other two
 Filesize:  114.82 KB
 Viewed:  107 Time(s)

DSC01628.JPG

DSC01630.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.51 KB
 Viewed:  113 Time(s)

DSC01630.JPG

DSC01634.JPG
 Description:
One of the Hens Mutations?
 Filesize:  125.94 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

DSC01634.JPG

DSC01637.JPG
 Description:
Other Hen Mutations?
 Filesize:  108.2 KB
 Viewed:  105 Time(s)

DSC01637.JPG

Zeddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sex and Mutation

Zeddy wrote:
Hi Guys I am new here but can you all help me out with some Kaka's I got today from a breeder.
Here are the pics I am thinking the two yellows are males and the other two are hens can you confirm this and ID the Mutations plz?

While they are in the holding cage I would like to know how to best pair them. They are going into a suspended cage each being 1.2m W 1.1m H and 2.4m L

Thanks guys and gals!!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject:

The yellow 3rd from left in 1st pic is a male, the rest the pics donrt show enhoug of the beak/ head to tell.
you can also check by the stripe under the wing on mature birds and as a n indicator on young birds...
definate stripe female , broke faded male... there are good pics in older posts...."quick Search" block on the left.

We pair ours by observing and letting them choose... this get better stronger off spring...but if want to follow mutation genetic lines the less successful, u choose and separate those pairs together is the norm.
Im not a fan of suspended flights for kakariki as they spends a lot of time on the ground... saw them kept in supended flights a few yrs ago, was not impressed, feet where deformed and such...
1 pair per flight with 2 nesting boxes... not a good idea to breed multiple pairs in the same flight... usually leads to terroritorial issues once they pair off and start going to nest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:

Cool thanks for the reply :)
Yeah they will only be one pair per flight and they will have a 1.2m Wide bay between the pairs with some red rumps in between to break them up a little. This is only a holding cage to make sure that they are all healthy and wormed before I but them into the new cages near the other birds.
I do have a 8m by 4m standing avairy that I have to build for them with two flights but I need to lay the cement etc for that so its a little while away yet :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject:

No issues with dirt floor, kakariki prefer so.
So long as the floors are reasonably dry...
I have cemented floors more than once with birds in..
Add a bit of fast set, by the time the cement sets , the birds have enough courage to investigate the new strange floor.
Quote:
Wide bay between the pairs with some red rumps in between to break them up a little

There are some old wives tales about double netting between flights of breeding kakariki... or not next to each other... comes from as single paragraph in an old book from around the 50s....we have breed kakariki in adjoining flights with 1.5mm x 17mm sq welded meash for yrs...
Do block line of sight between the nesting boxes in each flight thu.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject:

So they moved into the new suspended today
Here is a pic for reference.

DSC01641.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.62 KB
 Viewed:  99 Time(s)

DSC01641.JPG

Zeddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Also so are the hens cinnamon pied or just normal pied??? Just wondering what sort of bubs these pairs are going to produce. signlol
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject:

As to what the mutations are, im not qualified enough..
Suprisingly... The 'home' of kakariki, we no longer have mutations...the gene pool was 'exported' in the late 1800s/early 1900s around the same time the species was almost extinct...well some of the kakariki species did become exinct.
Those avairies are very exposed...even in our moderate weather in NZ I would consider way to exposed from both winter and summer conditions.
Also due to kakariki s nature of activity, suitable for breeding but not suitable for long term housing or holding flights.
If considering breeding u do have a avairy to hold off spring in right?

We breed 3 pair for 4 yrs, producing over 140 healthy adults PER PAIR.
That was without any special attention.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject:

You seem to have 2 BEC with a few green feathers, and the other two are cinnamon pied

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: