Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Pet store cage Kakariki
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Pet store cage Kakariki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcrossn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Pet store cage Kakariki

Hi everyone, I live in San Diego California.

There is a very nice well kept bird store here and they have a beautiful red fronted Kakariki that is being kept in a 3'x2'x2' cage. The bird has been there for over 2 years. Since it was a baby. There is no toys in the cage just a water & food dishes. The bottom of the cage is wire mesh with a catch tray under it. I asked a clerk why there was nothing for the bird to do & was told they tried placing a toy in the cage & he wasn't interested. The poor little thing just runs around the cage, up & over the top, back & forth on the bottom a lot. I asked if they ever engaged with him/her, they said they did at first but he wasn't interested. I informed them of the needs of this species but nothing was changed of course. All of the smaller birds are is kept completely the same but the other cages have more then one.
I asked them to take the bird out so I could see him. They caught him in the cage & cradled to hand him to me. He fluttered away (of course!) trying to escape, his wings are clipped so he can't go far. I put my hand down for him to perch. After a few tries he jumped up on my hand then made his way to my head. I have gone back every day for 5 days now. I found a quiet corner of the store to try to calm him & build up trust. I've brought boiled egg, a strawberry, a date, a nectarine & sunflower seeds. He isn't interested at all. I tried hand feeding it to him, leaving it on the floor and placing on a shelf he could reach. He would rather cower in a corner. I have managed to get him to let me walk around with him on my head & taste some strawberry from my lips but he didn't eat it. He can't wait to get back in his cage.
His price tag is $299.99, I would like to rescue the little guy & work with him to gain trust if I could afford him. My question is, sense he seems to want to be just left alone in the cage do you think he may come around? Or do you think after years of just running around a small cage that's all he wants to do from now on? Any input or your feelings on the matter will be greatly appreciated! I'm sad for him... duno
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject:

Could you negotiate the price with the store manager?
Usual price for kakariki in the US was 100-120USD when I lived there, it's the price mark I remember from the Glendale bird-mart (Glendale is next to Phoenix, AZ)

Where do you live?

About rescuing birds from petshops, I don't encourage less than 5 minutes after you walk out the store with the bird, another bird will be brought in in the same situation.
I suggest only buying from honest breeders and pet shops, where birds are kept in decent condition.

Just my 2 cents

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:

If this pet shop is treating 1 bird in that manner, what else are they doing..
In NZ , if the shop, after being informed as you have done, still refused to care for the animail in a reasonable manner....Tiome for Authorities to step in...SPCA something like that.

You may even find the bird being put in your care.

On the other hand if the local autorities are spineless, u may loose all access to the bird.

Clip a kakariki wings... that is particularly cruel to the kakariki species.
Min requirements in NZ is at least 2.4m x1.2m x 2m H and some local authorities require bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Pet store cage Kakariki

I agree with you both, I spoke to the manager and asked her to call the owner and tell her the way they are keeping the kakariki is cruel and inappropriate. She said the price is high because they are so rare. I educated her on the fact that they are not "rare" they are not a bird store type bird is why you don't find them readily available to pet stores. She called the owner and came back to me saying the owner will deduct the price by 20..00. That the bird is eating & healthy and somebody will come along and purchase him. That they are surprised he's been there this long. I started a go fund me campaign this morning to try and raise enough funds to get him out of there. So far I've raised 50.00 so I am very hopeful. I also found a much larger brand new cage for 10.00 on Craiglist. A all ready picked it up! My boyfriend will build him an aviary, no problem. He built a beautiful chicken coop for our chickens last year and it's amazing! So I know with perseverance everything will work out. As soon as I get the little guy out of there I am going to write the owner a letter to improve her knowledge and hopefully deter them from obtaining any other Kakarikis!!! The SPCA here will only care if the bird is being kept in filthy conditions or not being fed
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He built a beautiful chicken coop for our chickens last year and it's amazing!

You do know hens in the bottom of a kakariki avairy works well?....
But not so sure about if has clipped wings...

kakariki are NOT rare... they are ENDANGERED as a wild species in their homeland....there are more kakariki in the rest of the world the the whole of NZ.
Really sounds like they are milking the sitution.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject:

IMHO the owner doesn't give a rat's ass about the bird, if she/he did he would try to find info and keep the bird in a better enviroment.
I think next thing after you leave the shop the bird will be replaced, it never ends.

There are hobbyists and professionals that try to learn and improve, and others that don't care, they do it their way and they won't accept any feedback or advice.

But it's your call nevertheless.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: