Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Interspecies Cohabitation question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Interspecies Cohabitation question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icanfly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Interspecies Cohabitation question

Hi there,

Following a small tragedy where a massive cold snap killed off my kak, tiel, budgie & 4 king quail, and a massive rebuild of the aviary & their surroundings, I am finally ready to repopulate my cage.

The question I had was about what works well together. The avairy is 2.1 high, 1.2 deep & 4m long. I currently have a male blue princess parrot that will go back into the aviary (sole survivor). It is intended solely as a show flight & want to know if any experience of these combinations of birds will or will not work:

Princess parrot
Kakariki
Cockatiel
Red-Rump parrot (male only - will he still get aggressive if no female?)
Crimson Wing parrot (same theory as red rump)
Scarlet Chested
Bourke
Budgie
Galah

Also, does anyone have experience with Californian Quail? Seen them in a big aviary in Canberra and they look cool but can't find much about them

Thanks

Josh
manders
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject:

Soryy cant answer your question, but how cold was the cold snap? Just wondering what they can tolerate, mine have been to -10C no probs and kept on breeding.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject:

My thoughts also...wasnt cold snap

Quote:
The avairy is 2.1 high, 1.2 deep & 4m long.

Well I would at most, have a pair of larger parrots like a king or crimsons and maybe a couple of smaller birds like turqs burkes or kakariki but no nesting boxes.

From your list , for a comunity flight
Crimson
Scarlet Chested (king?)
Kakariki
Cockatiel
Bourke, so long as no nesting box

I have never had issues with crimson wings being agreesive , even when going to nest, like at the moment..they have a pair of burkes with them
Quote:
does anyone have experience with Californian Quail?

I have some, have been tring to get a pair for many years now and finally source a pair about 3 months ago.
Do not treat them like normal vaccuum cleaners ie other quail species..
They spend a lot of time on perches and are very flightly, so need a very slow introduction to their enviroment which includes people looking and entering the flight.
I have them with a pair of turks....have kept them in the large holding flight with a small flock of kakariki and a couple button quail for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject:

Reasonably confident on the cold. Was cold enough to freeze dogs kiddie pool sized water bowl and had other reports in the area. No injury to the birds either. Has now been insulated and shelters upgraded.
Wasn't gonna put a king in, though aviary was too small. I was referring to a small parrot like a turk. Any experience on red rump aggro as a solo bird?
Thanks for the quail info. Better not get them if no good for cleaning and our dog would prob terrorise them if skittish
Regards
Josh
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Reasonably confident on the cold. Was cold enough to freeze dogs kiddie pool sized water bowl

When there is a few feet on the ground and the water trough is frozen solid , and they are breaking thru the pond to havwe a bath... kakariki love it.
Love birds and red rumps..I and other have had bad run mixing those, on their own and pairs in a mixed flight...then go out one morning and one would swear a rat or ferrit has been thru the flight...just not worth even considering.

I have kings breeding in a 2.2x 2.2x 2mH flight, and crimsons in a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2m H flight for years now.

I also suggestif having a display flight , put it side on not deep with perches hung along the front to allow interaction and closeness to the birds, rather have them sitting up on perches way down the other end of a 'corridoor'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: