Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Nest boxes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Nest boxes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:

Im not really a fan of people who dress their pets up in human cloths Shocked
Is that a small hatch door down the bottom?
I would have made the door a little wider than the bottom left side, and taken the height up to at least the 2nd cross bar....
easy access, ....kakariki tend to go high thru doors....when the doors get up around the normal standing height of a person....therefore if there is no saftey door setup, have the door so one stoops to go thru.

Also the mesh goes on the inside of the avairy....make easier cleaning ,less build up on 'shelves'.
And paint the mesh a very dark brown or matt black with water based paint and small sponge roller.. makes looking in easier....clour a patch about 4"x 6" with a black felt pen in the middle of the mesh...u will see what I mean.... looks like someone has cut a hole in the mesh.

Perches.. get a good sized branches 1/2" to 3" diameter and hang at different levels, but high, and one across the front couple inchs off the mesh... this allows inter action with the birds without them having to hang off the wire and destroy their tail feathers

Back wall paint darker, more abrown or green... birds feel safer when their background is darker , more 'natural' camoflage for them.

Feeding the veggies....somewhere here, maybe my album...I have made door type containers that one can open and feed from the outside.

Seed container.... deep at least a 3" above the top level of the seed, stops making a mess throwing all the seed out
Dont put and water or seed containers under a perch.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject:

I've let him out now Laughing

The door for the birds is the section right across the top section, it drops down and is held level by chains.

There is an access door for humans at the bottom (right hand side as you look at the photo). The left hand side is just wall.

We wish we had known about the mesh before, still I'll just have to be very thorough when cleaning.

Thanks for the tip for the mesh - we tried a patch as you said - it's amazing the difference that makes Thanks! Just checking could I use permanent marker pen on all the mesh? (I can get loads of pens from work) or would the smell be bad for the birds?

You have given my husband reason to gloat - he said it needed a perch across the front!!!!!

We are going to try to colour the walls but the aviary is fixed to the wall Crying or Very sad

I'll have a look for your feeders. I know exactly what you mean about seed throwing!!!!

Their water and food is not directly under perches.

Thanks very much for all the useful information.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject:

The avairy is a long term thing right?
I work hard at being lazy.. I would put the effort in and build a new bigger human access door...
Mesh, even on our out door avairies I fix the mesh using an electric upholstry stapler...9/16 staples....

Back wall.. I would be temped to hang that brush/stick wall stuff

I see no reason why felt tip could not be used....

Couple buttom quail make great vaccuum cleaners...
We put about a 200mm kick board along the bottom of our avairies... keeps the outside cleaner and most of the floor inside 'appears' tidyer

Husbands are always right....ever noticed that when they are, the wife says "well I thought......" no THATS where the problems start wall ...they should not think d'oh! Wink

How do u intend to maintain the floor?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Yes hopefully their permanant home now. We will have to rethink the door when we get too old and stiff to get through the present one.

Our mesh is stapled on too!

I like the idea of a brush back wall - much easier than trying to piant through the mesh! happy^

Felt tip it is then! Wink

My local supplier is trying to get me to get quail too I sense a conspiracy Whistle

My husband totally agrees with you about wives and comments! mad

The floor is stone tiles - easy to clean and looks good! Gets vacumned daily and scrubbed every couple of days.

Did you speak sternly to the admin regarding the albums??? Whistle
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The floor is stone tiles - easy to clean and looks good! Gets vacumned daily and scrubbed every couple of days.

Dont get too carried away with scrubbing and stuff...I and many others are of the veiw things being too sterile creates more problems....lack ofd natural resistance etc.....Mist spray with 50/50 vinegar and water as maintance , and vinegar in veggies once a week...
Ease of cleaning , I would have been thinking...from experiace with our isolation/hospital cages...a ply board...or maybe better, in your flight, 2 side by side that can side out thru the bottom.
Sand or better still if can get it in the UK , pummic sand about 1 to 2mm scattered on the boards.

The gallery.. to be honest...it has been and still is very low on piority of things to do...just too much on, building a 80 sqm 4m shed in the back yard, got another hot rod to build for the wife (Bradford based not American this time.) Grandchildren, gardens etc.. Oh and currently pullinbg down /building new avairies and flights.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject:

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your advice, I'm looking for pumice sand (and now you have also got me looking at Quail!). Think

The inner shelf is now installed (extra marks to you and my husband!) wall
There are also two small ones across the back corners for 'Fred' who insists on sleeping on what was the v narrow ledge there and consequently falling off in the middle of the night causing a few minutes of mayhem! Bless him he def is not 'quite right' definitely a daft bird! Laughing

On the hunt for some brush wood stuff for the back wall, unfortunately so far I have only been able to source complete rolls at silly money especially as I need so little - will keep searching for that.

I'll carry on upload photo's to the gallery until things have calmed down your end and you have time to create a folder.

Take care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: