Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Nest boxes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Nest boxes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendelina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Nest boxes?

Hi, It looks as if our pair is starting the mating 'dance' and I have a few questions if anyone can help I would be very grateful.

I have 2 boxes one with a lid and one without which is the best type to use? (both can be used with or without lid).

Should I put the boxes in now?

What do I do about nesting material e.g. do I put it in the box or do they? What is the best material to use (natural preferrably - I have heard some tragic stories about the man made hairlike stuff).

I apologise if this information is elsewhere on this site but after looking around I can't find any.

Any advice will be very w3c.

An excited grandma-to-be (hopefully) Laughing
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject:

hi!
w3c to the forum wendelina

about the lid... what do you mean exactly? pics?

nesting material, use wood shavings (available as a block for pet rodents, it's relatively cheap), hair-like stuff (coconut fiber) and sawdust are not advisable because the chicks may get tangled, and sawdust because it's too dusty. Woodshavings are usually quite clean and almost dust-free.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Wendelina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject:

Hi Pablo,

Thank you!

Basically my husband made the nest boxes based on others we have seen, the only difference is that he made them with removable lids as the place we got our pair from had closed in and lidless boxes in with their birds - they did have other birds in the aviary too so I was not sure which type our birds would prefer.

I have been trying desperately to upload pics of my birds and the boxes but I am having trouble condensing the file size to fit the upload allowance. (I'll get there eventually!)

Thanks for the advice on nesting material. I have some 'Fine grade beechchips, kiln dried wood, dust free and suitable for larger species of snakes, lizards, birds and mammals' which I use for my snakes and lizard so I presume that this would be suitable?

Do they need anything softer on top? I.e. shredded tissue?

Thanks again and I will try to get my pics sorted.

Wendelina.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject:

hi

as to reduce pics... it's very easy
first reduce the % of the size, so that it's within 550px on the larger side (or crop part of it and then resize in % until it fits)
then adjust quality of the jpg file to about 80% so the "weight" is reduced under 150kb

I don't know if I explained myself

regarding the nest, I guess you use the lid as to block the view to other birds or something like that
imho not really needed but as you have to give them 2 nests just place them in the aviary and let them choose, when they start the second clutch they are probably gonna use the second one anyway

Wendelina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject:

Hopefully you can see the box Pablo, the other one is exactly the same but with the lid removed.

BTW thanks for the resizing tip!

Toy checking it out!1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.62 KB
 Viewed:  208 Time(s)

Toy checking it out!1.jpg

pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject:

a little balcony

tbh I have some nests with a stick below the entrance and others that have nothing, and both cockatiels and kakariki go in and out without problems, in fact sometimes they choose the ones without stick over the ones that have it

Wendelina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject:

Maybe I'll leave one with the 'balcony' and remove the one from the other box then they can choose!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:

Nest boxes hints
kakariki are not too fussy...be it a shoe or vertal box, or whatever
About 200x200mm square.
fairly deep about 500mm maybe little more....
lid or some sort of excess is needed for maintance...
Screw the nest boxes together, dont nail...this makes wash down/cleaning easier.
Do not paint....use untreated rough sawn timber.
do not paint.
We burn our nest boxes with a large lpg burner, inside and out, not only does it serilise it also gives a rustic appearance

This prevents chicks coming out early.
nesting material . anything from coarse chainsaw chips, to swath from a woods turner, to dried mulch off the forest floor.....a good 1" to 1 1/2 thick.
Things like string, paper foams etc are not suitable.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:

Hi Steptoe,

Thanks for the tips!

Measured our boxes and they are the correct size (which is more luck than judgement as my husband made them by just looking at others and then coming home and making them).

I have put the beechwood chips in the box to approximately 1.5 inches deep (again lucky guess). Nothing else.

Good tip about screwing the boxes together we were going to put them at either end of the aviary. Thanks!

The boxes were scrubbed with a mild disinfectant solution then baked in the oven for an hour.

Sorry but I am not sure whether you are saying that they should have lids or not or what you mean that stops the chicks getting out (lids?).
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Measured our boxes and they are the correct size (which is more luck than judgement as my husband made them by just looking at others and then coming home and making them).

typical wife , no faith in the husband... Wink
We have it all pre worked out...the 200 x200 just happens to be a std timber size....which means std timder sizes where established for kakariki nest boxes..... Shocked

yeah right ....
put them side by side....about 1 rechargeable distance between them I screw a bit of scrap ply across the back, extend about 1" either side....
The width rechargeable drills was established to suit screwing nesting boxes to walls Wink
then a screw thru that into the avairy wall....just high enough so i can look inside the hatch.

lids.... there is the hole in the side for the birds to go in and out....but its a bit small for me to look in...so I have the top of the nesting box so it just sits there with a couple bits scrap timber to hold it square, doesnt slide off.....

OH and I have 4 rocks bit bigger than fist size on the floor of the avairies.
When the hen is sitting/laying eggs I put 1 rock on the top of the nesting box.....when the eggs hatch I put another rock on ......so one usually gets to 2 rocks on 1 and 1 rock on the other.
Many of our kakariki sit on the rocks gaurding the nesting box, feed each other etc.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject:

Steps,

when I visited a German breeder last summer, he had the front of the nests somehow in 3 pieces
the top and bottom front pieces were fixed, and the top would have the entrance hole
but the middle piece was cut at angle so that it would stay in place, but it was also easy to remove, and it gives a large inspection door, and it's better than having a removable top

next boxes I build I will try to replicate the idea

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject:

I dont think it makes much difference, some of mine I have cut the front panel and hinged the top 1/2 to fold down.
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks both!

All information passed onto hubby! Laughing

We now have a bigger aviary - built courtesy of hubby and 2 more birds (can't remember if I've mentioned them before). It now takes up one corner of our lounge and is big enough for my husband to stand inside! (much to the birds amazement!!)

I thought I had started a photo album on here but nothing is showing - does the site admin have to approve before it is seen?

I want to upload pics of my birds and their new home when I can, as I would be interested to see what you guys think.

Take care xxx
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject:

What is MEANT to happen in the gallery section is the Administrator (me) every so often groups new member pics in the members section, creates a new members (name ) album and moves their pic into their own album.
But the Administaror has been very slack for some time in doing so..will be having some strong words with me tonight.

you can load pics into a post, at the bottom of posting page
read the instruction in the how to section of the forums.
Steps.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject:

OOOps! :oops:

Sorry if I have got the administrator into trouble! Wink Shame on you
Don't be too hard on youself Laughing

I'll try again with adding pics to a post but I'm finding it very difficult to make them small enough - quality camera you see! Wink

Thanks!

Jim in the aviary2.jpg
 Description:
My husband finishing off the inside of the new aviary
 Filesize:  65.24 KB
 Viewed:  204 Time(s)

Jim in the aviary2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: