Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hello, New Kakariki owner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hello, New Kakariki owner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Hello, New Kakariki owner

Hello, my name is Keira and I've been a parrot owner for many years. I rescue parrots in need of good homes. I teciently obtained a female kakariki that is 9 months old and was previously pruchased by her previous owners from a pet shop in New England. Kakarikis are very new to me and i hate to admit it but I don't know much about them. I am trying to learn as much as i can, as fast as i can. I live in salt Lake City Utah, and its been really hard to find any information on Kakarikis because they are fairly rare in my area.
My main concern is that I have had my Kakariki Spree for about 3 weeks now, she is very shy and seems to only want to sit next to a little mirror in her cage. She seems very lonely. I have considered giving her a cage mate but Kakarikis are almost impossible to find in my area. I was wndering if it would be a terrible idea to try a different species like an English budgie or a cockatiel as a cage mate instead?
Could someone please help with some ideas? Thank you.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:

How big is the cage? kakariki maybe a small bird but are extremely active, need a lot of space and excerise.
Compainions, yep anything that cam be mixed with other birds.
I prefer burkes and turqs, kings and crimsons, yes cockteils are fine

For info, on the left is a quicksearch block....type in words ie diet compainions etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Her cage is huge for her, its the same size as my African Greys cage that measures 36" W x 36" D x 64" T. I also let her out of her cage for several hours every day.
I did know that yhey are very active so i do give her new things to shred and play with daily. She is very sweet, steps up every time, I just feel like she is lonely.
BirdNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Also, mine looks a lot different from many that ive seen in pictures. She is bright yellow, with a green mask, and a red tuft on her forehead. I have tried to upload a photo but this site doesnt like my photos.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject:

posting/ uploading pics
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-616.html

Sounds like your kakariki is a mutation, have a look thru the galley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject:

This is Spree

IMAG0456-1-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.21 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

IMAG0456-1-1.jpg

Cranny13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject:

I would be careful with introducing another kak with her, she is displaying behavior that could get her picked on by another kak. My female had a seizure on the way home and even though they were brought up together, he picked on her and pushed her of ledges even though they cuddled and seemed alright together.Almost all Birds pick on weaker members of their species, my little girl can't go back with him, or he might kill her. The longer your bird is alone the harder it will be to introduce another bird.

As for other species, I have bee informed not to bother however there are succesfull pairings of different species. Kakarikis are so energetic that most other birds can't handle how high-strung they are. Just have another cage ready if it doesn't work out.

If she is not all that active and doesn't like to climb, she might be sick, my female started out after her seizure climbing ok then not at all. She preferred to stay in one spot. That is not Kakariki behavior. Also she doesn't understand that the bird in the mirror is her reflection in her eyes it is another bird, so that could cause her to be sad.

They are tough birds but they have small hearts and are susceptible to trama, she may just be missing her old home as well. My lil girl has been at the vet for a week and every time I go see her she lights up like a streetlight. Each one has a distinct personality, and my male is so hyper and so acrobatic that he would not be a good pair for a timid shy female.

Males will also abuse females if they refuse their mating attempts. Same sex couples are better, unless you want a brood of chicks every few months get another female.

They are awesome birds, so much personality, but they are birds. Things to watch out for-no chocolate at all, no avocado, no apple seeds, bo caffeine,. They will get into everything, so always keep an eye on her when she is out of the cage. Even a tiny amount of chocolate or caffeine will kill them very fast.

They are very different than other parrot species, and they need alot of room for a small bird. They are almost more like a burrowing mammal than a bird, they like attention, but wont perch for long periods of time. Contrary to what I read though both my birds love to cuddle, but only when it is convenient for them. My male falls asleep in my pocket and my female falls asleep under my chin.

They need a bath every other day, a good sign of a healthy bird is one that loves their baths. Put a bowl of warm water in the cage, and watch the hilarity in sue. For instance my male loves them and my female who is mentally handicap is afraid of them. I have to give her a shower instead, but that is not normal.

Be care full what you read. They live more like 15-25 years, not 5 like some literature says. They can be very loud contrary to popular opinion. y male is very vocal and loves to call to all the birds he sees outside the window. Definitely not as loud as a Cockatoo or Qauker, but they can be loud.

I am new to owning birds in general and it is hard to find good literature on these birds unless you live in Australia or New Zealand. Hope I could help
Cranny13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Red Crowned Lutino

She is a red crowned Lutino, btw. I have a male that is identical
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
picked on by another kak. My female had a seizure on the way home and even though they were brought up together, he picked on her and pushed her of ledges even though they cuddled and seemed alright together.

A bird that has a seizure like that , in the wild will not survive and should also not be sold or breed off...And it is not "picking on" it is not being able to keep up with normal interative behavour.

Quote:
As for other species, I have bee informed not to bother however there are succesfull pairings of different species.

Very incorrect, we and other breeders have kept and currently do , kakariki with several species of quail, including californian, turqs burkes , kings , crimsons , cockeirls, budgies, ring neck, finches, hend , ginee pigs and rabbits...without any issues.. except when introducing nesting boxes and breeding... which then like most species including many of the above, become defensive and agressive to introders in that space.
Of any bird that because of the energtic nature of kakariki would be effected is calfornian quail...and that is not the case.

Quote:
They are tough birds but they have small hearts and are susceptible to trama,

Again VERY incorrect.. kakariki are the most hardy of all species, surviving in snow to 42+ degs, and even breeding in the most extreme conditions...
Any heart condition or weakness is due to the breeding not the species

Quote:
Males will also abuse females if they refuse their mating attempts.

IF a female and male are selected. forced together, rather than natural pairing in a flock, the female may resist the male due to natural incompatabilty issues...ie to closely related.. yes they can tell...
What eventually happens in the female tends to spend much of its time in the nesting box, the male calles her out at feeding time.
Males are NOT abusive to females....thu on very rare aoccasions ... very rare less than 0.01% over 1000 birds, one may get a rogue bird, be it male or female.

Quote:
Things to watch out for-no chocolate at all, no avocado, no apple seeds, bo caffeine,.

MYTH
WE have had our kings , crimsons, kakariki get into chocolate big time, more than once....the issue is feeding chocolate , caffine in a regular basis, as part of the diet, like us in the same proportions , will cause long term health issues.
Avocado... the same it is not the flesh but the seed that contains asinec, in quanities on a regular basis can cause long term health issue...but a kakakiki try to chew into an avacodao seed, yeah right... try it... even bigger kings and crimsons cant do it...
Apple seed, the same applies above... do not feed a hand full of apple seeds to any animal, snal what ever... or people...in those quanities it is likeky to make them very sick and possibly fatal....to put in persective, anyone actually seed a hand full of apple (or Pear seed) let alone feed to to an aniamal or eaten themselves?

Asrenic is an essentual trace aliment required for long term good health, feed the apples/ pears to your birds WITH THE SEEDS

Quote:
Even a tiny amount of chocolate or caffeine will kill them very fast.
load of rubbish...from personal experiance

Quote:
I have to give her a shower instead, but that is not normal.

Rubbish..some kakariki, like a bath, others jump under the automatic watering system for the water trays in the avaiaries, others love to be in the heavy rain....the have their own personal preverance... most do bath every day rather than shower, usually in the very early morning with fresh cold, often near freezing water....often breaking ice on water trays to have a bath.

Quote:
They live more like 15-25 years,

Correct.. more like 12 to 18 yrs, but this depends very much on good breeding stock and long term varied constant, healthy diet... which saddly both good breeding stock and fresh veggies , fruit, protien 2x a day of enough variately for long term healthy diet doesnt happen in captivity...

Quote:
They can be very loud contrary to popular opinion. y male is very vocal and loves to call to all the birds he sees outside the window. Definitely not as loud as a Cockatoo or Qauker, but they can be loud

Kakariki, or any bird in a room will sound loud.....kakariki are not as loud as a cocteil or most birds....and not as peicing as budgies.....
And when they see birds, cats, hawks or anything that may threaten , like most animals, even us, we call a very loud warning to others in a wide area.
I do not see how this behavour, be it a dog, bird, person could be included in the normal vocal 'loudness'
kakarki are overall are a a reasonbly quite parrot.

Quote:
I am new to owning birds in general and it is hard to find good literature

Which was the reason for this web site to be published many years ago....the misconceptions and perpetuating of old wives tales without actual personal experimentation and trials in all types of media is astonding, not of just kakariki... chocoate, caffine, apple seeds etc above...

Quote:
on these birds unless you live in Australia or New Zealand.

Being in NZ or Aussie has nothing to do with it.. there are more experianced breeders between Iceland, thru Europe, middle East, SE Asia, the Americas than through out Oceiania.
So much so that of the top 10 breeders around the world I would put 3 in NZ, about the same in Aussie, and the rest in Neherlands, Beliguim and Germany.

Im sry If have offened...we started this site many years ago to dispell these myths, these forms are full of hands on experiance, experiments etc from top respinsable breeders around the world...and to have them continued here is rather annoying, after so much effort put in.
Steps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the info. I have to update that over the past 6 months since I first posted on this thread, Spree has become very much at home. She has become a lot more active and vocal. We play peek-a-boo and she has a blast. I did remove the mirror and her cozy hut because she started laying eggs often and I rearrange her cage ever month to keep her stimulated. She bathes every other day and she loves new toys. I have decided against a cage mate. I have one question though, is it normal behavior for a Kakariki to eat its own poop? I have seen her do this a few times just picking it off her perches. I know it's normal for some species but not sure about Kakarikis. Thanks for all the info!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
is it normal behavior for a Kakariki to eat its own poop?

What I would call a 'grey area'
I believe, from our own observations, over the many species we have, this is a sign , if regular, that they have something missing in the diet..in particular trace eliments...
Thu the occassional doing so (when full balanced diet on regualar basis every day 365 days a year) has something to do with immune system, espec when have chicks.
Think like this...
I have just lost 11 kg, in that many weeks simply from diet....but I have removed starch, carbs.. potatoes etc.. from the diet. What I am very conscieous about is doing so also removes other vitmins and minerals that these foods (not junk foods) contain....and see it when curt a finger, working in the garden and it goes slightly red following day....keep up with the imune vitimans and minerals and it doesnt happen.
Now apply this to captive animals...whos diet can not involve landing in a partular tree that has a partular grub important to a balanced healty diet, let a lone a long term one.
Diet dissussion here
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-12.html
On the left is the "quick Search " block where words like apple seed chocolate avocado etc maybe typed in for further information.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again, we are still working on introducing new foods as her previous diet did not have much variety other than seeds and commercial pellets. She is sort of afraid of new and unusual foods and it takes a few consist and days before she will try them. If she hasn't touched them after a few days, I give that food a rest for a week and try again. Spree has taken a liking to apples, sweet potato, fresh corn and carrots. I have been unable to get her to eat any kind of berry, Green veggies, legumes or beans. The only proteins I can get her to try are finely chopped almonds, we are trying sprouted seeds this week and next week and also blackberries. It's been a slow progress with foods but we are making some progress. I will see if any of my local shops have an antioxidant supplement that I could add to her water in the meantime as we get a nutritious balanced diet in order. I am very optimistic that she will come around eventually.
Cranny13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: REST IN PEACE SWEETPEA

My lil sweetpea died last night, she was really ill but I hoped she would get better. I miss her but I cuddled with her last night, and I'll never forget her. I havn't stopped crying since I found her. I am going to bury her at dawn in the shade of my apple tree. Hurts like losing a family member.
BirdNerd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject:

Oh no! I am so sorry! It is unbelievably hard to lose family member like that. Very truly sorry for your loss.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject:

Very sad to hear that....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: