Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - behaviour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

behaviour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
POUKAI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: behaviour

Hi My bird "Poukai".

spends a lot of time "Feeding", his/her relflection, where ever it is found.
Is this good or bad? & what should I do.

Thanks Bryan
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject:

Most parrots species will do this, usually because lack company boredom etc, espec if getting near breeding season.....Generally they become attached to the owners istead.
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I would restrict their access to mirrors or other surfaces where they see their reflection because in our case we have a budgie that is completely obsessed with feeding mirrors.
On the other hand the female budgie and a femal bourke parakeet don't bother with their own reflections, maybe because they are females?

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
maybe because they are females?

Interesting thought...there could very well be something in that..

Quote:
completely obsessed

We have never had a house parrot be "completely obsessed" male or female..on the other hand never had a budgie or grasss type parrot a a house parrot for 50yrs...so cant remember..we did have mirrors and do rem comments back then that birds will not talk with a mirror, yet we never had an issue, be it a budgie or sulphurcrested or even a myna or magpie.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: behaviour

Poukai is my 1st Kakariki.

I have had other birds, (Sun Conure) Tequila was the best near equivalent.

But I have not had this kind of problem before, a bird that is bored.
I have tried cage toys, but she just isnt interested in those & also tried other ways with no success so far.

any suggestions are w3c
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject:

Couple things to consider about kakariki, unlike other birds they dont sit on a perch most of the day and sleep.....they are very hyperactive.
They are a flock bird (but not at breeding time like most 'flock' type animals)....therefore they spend a lot of time socially interactive rather than play things.
NZ Native birds and overall ecology, have evolved without mammals. Therore most of our lower forest/ground birds behave, feed, raise young more like mammals.....even things like a Kiwi, stroke the feathers and they fell more like dog hair.
So when dealing with kakariki, think more in terms of a cat or dog rather than a bird.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: behaviour

POUKAI wrote:

I have tried cage toys, but she just isnt interested in those & also tried other ways with no success so far.

My two boys have the run of the house when I get home from work, and I've found out that they are not very interested in "traditional" parrot toys, they prefer to explore the house and steal interesing small things that can be held in the foot and nibbled at. They will also go for the houseplants, any dirty dishes that have not been washed and generally put their beaks into anything they can find.

They have a big scratch box with wood pellets, some seeds and all sorts of junk, as well as a couple of woven baskets to chew on.

When they are locked up in their cage they have a smaller scratch box, and I try to put different things in the cage for them to play with, small twigs or colourful wooden toys.

Try to find out what Poukai likes, and give him a chance to explore different types of playthings to play with.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Quote:
maybe because they are females?

Interesting thought...there could very well be something in that..

Quote:
completely obsessed

We have never had a house parrot be "completely obsessed" male or female..on the other hand never had a budgie or grasss type parrot a a house parrot for 50yrs...so cant remember..we did have mirrors and do rem comments back then that birds will not talk with a mirror, yet we never had an issue, be it a budgie or sulphurcrested or even a myna or magpie.

I don't know what happens with the male budgie, but he is completely obsessed with his own reflection, be it in a mirror, in polished wood, etc...
Maybe it's just a particular case.

About toys... my kakariki love aromatic herbs, above anything else.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: