Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Back again, after some years
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Back again, after some years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Back again, after some years

Hi, for some time i couldn't deal in the kakariki.net. There was a problem with my Ip-adress.

I want to introduce you to our 8 kakariki. 3 pairs and one male and one female we hope they will find together.

They are living in a great aviary in our room but are allowed to fly on 70 squaremeters and to use the balkony for fresh air an sunlight.

All 8 birds came to us from bad care. Some of them lived for years as singles beetween cockatails und budgies. Our newst bird, didn't have the chance to fly, until she comes to us.

greetings from germany
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject:

Cool pics..and notice the home preserves on the shelf.
We have about 4kg of tomatos out of the garden simmering in 2 pots on the gas hob at the moment making realish....
Almost the last of the crop now, Think we have done around 5 or 6 batches todate.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Cool pics..and notice the home preserves on the shelf.
We have about 4kg of tomatos out of the garden simmering in 2 pots on the gas hob at the moment making realish....
Almost the last of the crop now, Think we have done around 5 or 6 batches todate.

Here in germany its early spring, just yesterday we seeded peperoni, tomatoes and lots other crops. We have a great garden and in sumer we need not to buy veggies. Then we are living from the fertility of our soils.

Now 20 kg of Kiwifruits are waiting to be worked up. I think we produce some tasty kiwivine from those
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject:

w3c back Georg!! thumb
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Now 20 kg of Kiwifruits are waiting to be worked up. I think we produce some tasty kiwivine from those

Ye we dabbled with wines a few yrs back.
Kiwi fruit make an excellent all round wine thu a little too fruity ...
Fejoa another excellent wine, prefered over thew kiwi fruit.
The red guarva, geusts would take the 1st sip, bit of a question make on the face....then the glass gets emty, and asking for a refill...after the 1st sip it is sort of very 'moreish' and the bottle dissapears very quick.

Our veggie garden is getting ready for winter growing crops, thu still a lot of summer crops producing.
We dont grow potato, take up a lot of room, and cheap anyway..thu a small crop for Christmas dinner (summer here)
Carrots same as potatos , as with sweetcorn, peas and pumkin.
Cali , broccoli brussel sprouts are grown thru winter and frozen and chuttneys made.
Spring/summer caspsicum, peppers, dwarf beans green and butter, beetroot, spinach..all 3 types, siliver beet, tomatos, radish, broad beans.
The good thing about ones own garden, not just the fresh, non chemical, cheap high goodness expensive benifits, is one picks many things earlt, like beans...baby resterant type sweet ......
When one lives with such meals at home one becomes justifiable very critical of resterant food if it is not fresh and upto scratch.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject:

We produce wines from every fruit growing in our garden, just now while writing i'm drinking a mixed wine from kiwi and currant, very tasty!

We loooove potatoes, the first ones from the owne garden were celebrated on the barbicue.
Today we harvested the first ramsons and after the strong winter we could play tabeletennis and heat the barbicue the first time this year.

We do not grow cabbage anymore, there are too much pests flying, it's no fun anymore.

Capsicum and peppers take the most room. Tomatoes, too.

Herbs take much of our place too.

O.K. and the grases and everything for our kakariki, 1/3rd. Sometimes we think they eat much more than two humans. <v>

And from everything a little bit.
The first rule in the garden: You have to harvest everything at the same time Shocked

Anmd yes, its spring in gemany:

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
We do not grow cabbage anymore, there are too much pests flying, it's no fun anymore.

Which is why we grow them and cali, broccoli in winter...
And yes we have plums apples grapes etc which what is left over get put into preservers , chunneys and such
It is only a modest section in the middle of the city only 1500 sq m..including a 50 m driveway.
We grow the culinary herb in patches down the path side of the veggie garden at the end of the rows...tyme sage, several types, chives, spring oinion, pasley, basel, fennel, bay, rosemary and a few others.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Very nice pics of the flowering veggies!
Wlcome back Georg! It's a pity you didn't send an e-mail to Steptoe to fix the IP adress thing. He blocks a number of countries because of hacking issues in the past. Nevertheless I wouldn't expect Germany to be blocked.

Steps, maybe we can take a look at the banned countries and update it? Maybe some people is trying to visit and they can't.

About fruit wine... do you mean wine, as of the typical wine made of grape, or are you talking juice? Or... are you talking liquor?

I ask about liquor because here in my region it's very typical to use the raw liquor obtained from wasted grapes (wasted after squeezing them for wine), and then mix it with fruits. The raw liquor is something similar to vodka.
Typically people drink shots of the raw thing, or herbs liquor (the raw thing + a few aromatic herbs), and then some fruits like cherry, strawberry, kiwi, etc..

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Wlcome back Georg! It's a pity you didn't send an e-mail to Steptoe to fix the IP adress thing. He blocks a number of countries because of hacking issues in the past. Nevertheless I wouldn't expect Germany to be blocked.

Georg did and we sorted it
Quote:
Nevertheless I wouldn't expect Germany to be blocked.

Germany is not but a hell of a lot of sub isp and domains are, Germany like the USA Israil, France are rather bad countries for hackers spam bots , illegal activity..
But compared to Brazil, Most of the eastern bloc counties, turkey, China, Korea and most other Asian countries, Nigeria, uganda and most Afican they are angles.... most of these counties are blocked ..period
Perple seem to think the middle east is bad, yes get a couple now and then but only need to block individual ips or very small groups.
On a positive note Aussie, NZ, South Africa, UK , Ireland, Spain, portugal, Greece, Malta, Cyprus are all pretty good.
The problem is countries and isp that do not act or enforce their agreements with their customers as to use, nor do they act or even have any intention to act.
This leaves Server admins with a problem...to ban whole isps and countires or spend long hrs or continually upgrading expensive security, fixing hacked web sites and mail servers etc etc .
More and more Server admins are just blocking...unfortunatly inocent people get limited access to the 'net...but when enough are effected maybe then they will insist that their Governments and isp providers behave in a responsable manner.
I drew the line in the sand a couple yrs back....20 mins before flying out of the country at 1:30 am in the morning my severs where taken down.
Fortunatly everything gets backed up 2x a day and it takes about 15 mins to restore...Before that we used to get hacked 2 or 3 times every 2 yrs, now never.
Before just this site domain used to have around 1000 attemps every 24 hrs, now we have 5 or 6, sometimes none.
We are talking about securing members personal details here, something I take very seriously.
Another note, I also admin a modest mail server....around 50 users daily, around 300 to 400 legit emails daily.....and the spam in filters daily...
10 to 15

THOUSAND per day Shocked
u may complain a few spam emails get thru from your isps...maybe this puts in perspective what incrediable job they actually do......
Unless one actually works, admins this part of IT people have no idea or concept of what an uncontroled wild west the net really is.
Ever wonder why Bandwidth is so expensive? every one of those emails...over 90% of all emails are spam, uses bandwidth and u pay for it.
That just email....
The cost of your isps ungrading maintaining mail filters etc etc because of this...you pay for it...
Think about it... Whistle

I hope this is a little eye opener to the reality of the net.

Yes running my web sites, and owning maintaining my servers takes work.
Without the support of our moderators, and many members there is no way I could afford the time or money to do so without commercial advertising or any income....a direction I decided on about 10 yrs ago and still have no intention of doing.

Cheers
Steps.
PS it is good to get things off ones chest every now and then, hope I did not bore u guys d'oh!

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Not boring at all! Good to know really.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject:

Yes spamming is really terrible, i run my german kakariki-forum for only half a year, and had to block some countries immideately. Usbekistan was the worst. Now i have probs with spammingbots. Some are able to post inspite of captchafilters. The part where guest were able to post their give-away birds had to be closed, every day 4 to five really unfine postings

@ steptoe: We ha 1000 sqm garden, Lots of berries currant, all collours, gooseberry, cranberry, rasberry, some kind of strawberry, blckberry, 6 kiwis, cherries, apples, plums, nashi, grapes.
we love herbs, we don't eat meat, and herbs from the garden make everything to eat very tasty.
Our kakariki love herbs for ainting.

@pabloc: we make wine as wine from grapes, but from all fruits growing in our garden, or in the wild, parks. yes ist juice with 16% alcohol
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject:

Polly and Bibo found themselves as a pair. They are feeding each other.
It something we waited and hoped for, but they are Kakariki an the fighting in their aviary begins.
Our great Aviary is 3 X 1,5 X 2,2 meter and is separated in three parts, thought for 3 pairs. Purly by chance Bibo came to us. By friends he and Klecksi lived in a aviary with cockatails, but they didn't like each other. At this time Thommys Sheila had died from cancer and we tried to find a new hen for him. So both find the way to us. It lasted only few days until Thommy and Klecksi got a pair an Bibo lived in the same aviary. Week by week he seemed to get more unlucky and feeded sticks.
As we saw Polly and heard about her fate we wanted to trie to bond her with Bibo. Now 2 pairs are living in this part of the aviary and fihting begins. By day the hens fight heavily, just now - its getting dark - thommy and bibo are in action. It's terrible wall

Here some pictures reflecting both sides, feeding, love and luck vs fighting

Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject:

Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject:

Now spring has come definitely to germany. It's T-shirt-weather and flowers and insekts show their collors.

Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject:

Here is a video of our 8 Kakariki after a rearrangment of their aviary.

enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: