Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Egg laying question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Egg laying question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
claireboo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Egg laying question

Hi all, i have a female kakariki roughly 11 mths old and recently she's started laying eggs, she has no mate and doesn't seem interested in them once laid just leave them at the bottom of her cage. The most recent one being laid last night.

She was bought for me but really does not like me and has a strong attachment to my husband. I was wondering if there is anything more we should be doing for her. She has a balanced diet fresh fruit and veg every day clean bathing water and drinking water everyday she's out flying round at least twice a day.

Any advice would be great thanks

Claire x
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:

you could just take the eggs away

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
She was bought for me but really does not like me and has a strong attachment to my husband.

this is common with most pets....male pets attach better to female owners and vidsa versa.

Quote:
I was wondering if there is anything more we should be doing for her.

you mean so she attaches to you.....well i asked my wife that she said "get rid of the husband..." signlol

One the left is a "quick search " block get a fresh cuppa...better still get the husband to get on for u, type in words like diet or taming put your feet up and start reading

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies.

We have been removing the eggs then she lays more signlol

from what ive read on here all her behaviour is mating behaviour which in turns means she's older than we were lead to believe (not a problem)
After reading tips on here too i have changed what i put at the bottom of her cage to wood shaving and she seems to be alot happier digging and scratching around in it so thank you. thumb

Steptoe i like your wifes thinking signlol

Claire x
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject:

Claireboo,

I don't want to sound like your (grand) mother, and I really, REALLY dont want to lecture you. And maybe I misunderstood and am way out of line... But reading your post about your bird bonding with your husband , I just had to react.

It's nice to bond with a pet. I absolutely adore mine ! But be careful,there is a risk too it too. If you overbond it can be the cause of some serious behaviour problems. ( of your bird, not your hubby Wink )
If she sees your husband as her partner it can become very frustrating for her if he does not understand her body language and behaviour and vice versa.
Just picture her stuck in a cage watching the love of her life acting lovingly with you or anyone else.
She can become so frustrated she might:

- scream whenever he pays too much attention to someone else but her.
- bite anyone who is too close to him to her liking
-bite your partner for being to close to/ with someone else
- not accept food from anyone but him etc..

I know from my own experience how sad and frustrating it can be for both the bird and the caretaker.

I don't want to sound like a know it all.. but if you think she might overbond with your husband, let your husband take a step back for a while to let you take care for her. Don't let him feed the bird goodies from his mouth ( if he does at all)
Feeding eachother is a ritual with many meanings.. courtship is one of them.
I feed my birds seeds through my mouth, but they see me as a friend, or better said, a walking goodie box, not a mate.

Again.. if you don't recognise anything I wrote.. please ignore this post.
If you do.. read up on body language and (over)bonding with pet birds.
It could save you from a lot of trouble.

kind regards,

Gee

claireboo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject:

Thank you Gee, she has bitten me in the past but i am and always have been the one to clean her cage, change her water, feed her etc my husband doesn't really have much to do with her she just seems to like him alot more than me signlol (biting the hand that feeds you comes to mind signlol)

Did have a small break through with her today i was stood next to her cage and she flew towards me (i never move when she does this) she landed on my head and sat quite happily for a few mins then was off again

Thanks again for all your replies

Clairex
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but i am and always have been the one to clean her cage, change her water, feed her etc my husband doesn't really have much to do with her she just seems to like him alot more than me

We had a russian blue cat, died after 18yrs (humainly put down before the looming health issues)
I my wife looked after everything, i never feed her, all I ever did is take here to the vet for shots and stuff like that....russian blue cats are very independant...like kakariki , as she got older it was me she came to, and in all those yrs she would stalk and attack my wife, when sitting down she would feed the cat off with her arm, like training a dog.
The cat was a female.
The cat woiyld occassioaly jump out and attack me around the legs, realise who I was , look up, sort of say "oops, sry" and wander off.
If was my wife...would chase her around the house untill a closed door separated them.

Most of this was because being russian blue, they are a very dominate breed and one has to be very firm to maintain alpha or the upper pecking order.

Our King house parrot was male, the reverse except I was alpha male.

Attacking when cleaning cage..that is good regardless....that means that cage is their personal bedroom..security...feel safe...and makes getting birds back to a cage far easier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject:

OK so this is an update on Baby's egg laying saga, since my last post she's laid another 4 eggs which i have removed but today she's laid another 2 and is now sitting on them wall signlol cant win with her hopefully she'll realise that its not gonna hatch and leave it and fingers crossed stop laying Pray

Claire xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: