Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Handrearing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Handrearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Handrearing

I normally don't believe in handrearing kakakrikis. Most times hand reared birds end up as pets in small cages and I believe kikes need space to play in an aviary as they are so active. They are not like a cockatiel that will sit on a perch for most of the day.

I handreared four babies last Dec when their father had killed one of their siblings. It was a very rewarding experience. I am going to hand rear again soon as I am giving a pair (who has raised four clutches in succesion) a rest. I have put their eggs under two other females with eggs and don't want to over exert the foster parents so I will take away some of the chicks for handrearing assuming most of the eggs hatch of course.

Does anyone have any handrearing experiences to share or are you interested in my rearing experiences over the next few weeks i.e. temperatures, frequency of feeds etc.

We handrear cockatiels and sell them for pets
Katashariki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I would be interested in you rexperiences of hand rearing of kakarikis or cockatiels . My cockatiels raise their one and only baby that hatched for three weeks and then they stopped and it was too late for me to save the baby as I did not realize they had stopped.
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject:

We have started hand rearing a 2 day old kakariki and have a 3 day old cockatiel with for company. Babies do better if they have another baby to cuddle up to and keep warm. We usually handrear cockatiels from around 10 -12 days as it is much easier at that age and they still make very time pets.

I will post some pictures and more info over the next few days and weeks as things progress.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Just an update on handrearing for those that are interested. Sorry no pics yet, have taken a few but need sometime to sort things out. Things will quiten down after 16 Dec so I will try and post some more pics before Christmas.

We are currently handrearing three kakarikis, two glden mantles and four cockatiels. The cockatiels are being weaned at the moment and they are a pain as they continually beg for food, even when their crops are bulging.

The biggest hassle with hand rearing any bird is having to feed them every couple of hours. You can't just go away for the day, somebody knowledgable needs to feed the babies. My wife does the feeds while I am at work but she is losing her enthusiasm so we won't be handrearing by choice for a while.

You need the correct equipment and food as well as patience, dedication and good hygiene important in order to hand rear successfully. Chicks older than ten days are far easier to hand rear than very young chicks. Young chicks die quickly if any food gets in their nostrils or if the temperature is not right. Older chicks feed easier and can handle lower temperatures.

Let me know if anyone wants more info about:

Brooders and equipment
Hand rearing food
Temperatures
Techniques
Feeding intervals
Weaning

Don't think you will never need to hand rear. We started out because we lost a mother and she had three young chicks in the nest. We had a choice, let them die as we had no foster parents available at the time, or try hand rearing. Two died due to our inexperience and lack of equipment but one survived.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Does not seem to be much interest in chatting about hand rearing. There are some interesting pictures at
http://kakariki.free.fr/0essaicibleindex.htm
The text is in French and if you are like me and do not know any French you might struggle to navigate the rest of the site, but take a little time, click away and you will find some interesting pictures particularly a step by step guide to construct asuspended avairy.

I use a modified (sides bent up) teaspoon and not a syringe to feed babies, less risk of crop burn and overfeeding but takes longer than syringe.
Ashleeklong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: 3 week old hand rearing kakariki

Hi
New member obviously :)
As you said it happens eventually to people down the track we did not have foster parents available for our 3 week old yellow boy. We luckily had enough knowledge and time to prepare just over the last few months as we knew breeding season was coming and better safe than sorry I guess so did a bit of research before the coming months and got a little advice here and there enough supplies for a just in case event and little did we know that we would need it when our 4 year old boy played with the lock and dogs and birds don't mix Sad to say the very sad least lucky boy is safe unharmed and eating well and getting some lovely feathers come through.
I would love any tips or trick you may have its always good to hear about others experiences and learn new things each bird is different though and we always work with what they like best, but hearing any new advice would be great! Might be different information, Timezone, things like that depending on where everyone is located..
Hope to hear about everyone else's experiences!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: