Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Aviary plans
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Aviary plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Aviary plans

Hi all,
I just thought I'd like to share my aviary plans with the world. And hope others will do the same so we can build up abit of a database of plan so that others may use as a guide as to how there Kakariki could be housed.. angel
This design probably wouldn't keep our local DOC guys happy but my Maroon bellied conures just love it.
the aviary is 3100 mm wide 2050mm deep and about 1900mm high at the front sloaping back to 1850mm at the rear. Each flight is 2050mm long by 1200mm wide. The safety area devides the 2 flights and theres plenty of room to store stuff.
the aviary as i built it uses about 115 mtrs of 50x50 untreated timber, 8 sheets of plywood 7mm untreated, 3 2.4 mtr sheets clear coragated plastic roffing, about 20 mtrs 13mm square wire mesh. all up it cost me about $400 to build and 2 days labour.

matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject:

emb
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:

hi matt!

thanks for sharing your plans and facilities pics.

2mx1,20m may not be ideal or perfect, but I think it's good enough if that's the space you have available.
I have a battery of 4 aviaries 2mx1m and if I had to build more aviaries I'd build them a bit larger if I had the space.

And I like it a lot that it's a "standalone building", so you have probably done a nice job building it and it's quite firm.
It reminds me a bit of the style of Steptoe's aviaries.

If you have more pics of the details of the inside, finishing etc.... I'd love to see them.
Also pics of your maroon bellied conures! (pyrrhura frontalis?)

The ones that are becoming very popular here in Europe are p. molinae, especially because of the new mutations.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I have missed this thread
Our flights are around
2.4m deep this is the length of a ply sheet on the roof
1.2m Wide the width of a sheet
1.8 m heigh at the rear length of shorter sheets
Sides/rear/front made as modular kitset units basically screwed together by the roof and rear.
Sides have 1/2 sheet ply front 1/2 in mesh
The internal walls are the same as an external side, except have a door.
The end flight has a safely door in the rear.
mesh issquare welded 17mmx 1.3mm ...attached on the inside of the frames using 9/16 galved unholstery staples and electric stapler.
Mesh is started at the top horozonally (900mm ) and a faming brace at the join between top strip and lower strip.
What is leftover around the base is ply kick board

Frame is 50mm x 50mm borax treated pine, ans all sits on either 4"x2" H4 ground treated pine laid level on the soil.
Then about 30L of sand mortar in poured on the floor, floated out, with a fall to a plastic 20L bucket with holes in the bottom, sunk in the ground at the lowest piont....the water tray sits on top with some mesh inbetween.

These sizes, construction, safely doors are all approved by DoC

I can add to either end by making a new front , internal side, and movingf the current end onto the end.

An avairy of 7 flights can be unscrewed dismantled by 2 people on an afternon, transported, and a good day to re assemble, not including the mortar floor.....longest bit is getting the 'foundation 4x2 s level and square.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject:

these plans were origanaly posted back in 2009. I think the post was hijaked and was removed into some deep dark hole somewhere within this site, i had a topic reply notice on my email so i thought i'd bring it back to life....
I have given the aviary and the conures to friends to look after and use when we moved here to australia all going well we'll be moving back to NZ near the end of the year Pray and plan on getting the aviary back and probably build a bigger better 1 with every intention on getting some kakariki
InFlight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject:

This is a great post. Would love to hear/see from more people about their aviaries- hint, hint.
So do you just have one pair in each flight or how many??????
Are these the flights that some of you are using for mixed birds?
Thanks
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject:

This is what my other half and kids have built for our daughters lovebirds.

love.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.32 KB
 Viewed:  182 Time(s)

love.jpg

pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject:

hi matt,

you are right, and I didn´t notice the origianl post was back from 2009
good luck moving back to NZ and I hope you manage to get the permits and breed kakariki, I'm sure Steps will be happy to help you with anything you need.

btw.... where in nz are you moving to?

cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
matt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Hi pabloc,

we are planning on moving back to nelson at the top of the south island, i still have my house there but will just need to find a job there before i move back.
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject:

well... maybe you could build aviaries on demand?
It's big business here in the netherlands. And we don't have as many and as big a gardens you have in NZ

A website, a " showgarden" with a few examples of your work... maybe breeding some birds for sale as well.....

Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A website, a " showgarden"

I was thinking about a section a while back when there was a brief discussion along these lines. Where people can load pics of their gardens/ avairies, ask questions discuss gardening.

Then I forgot...
Anyway what do u guys think about that?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I would be interested. I like gardening. Just the other day I was looking into native plants and trees of NZ to see if there was anything I could buy and grow here in my Dutch garden for my kakariki.

With just little luck so far.
Europe tends to cultivate a lot. Be it birds or plants and trees.
Native NZ plants, for me, are just as hard to come by as pure red- and yellow fronted kakariki. And with them looking alike but not being the same, I am afraid to try feed them to my kakariki.

Kakariki.net being a multi culti site, chances are most other ( European) forum members would have the same problem. Either plants would not be available or they would not grow because of the difference in location.

But maybe together we could find things that do work. :)

Yesterday i was reading a German forum and they feed their kakariki spiny nuts. (Acaena buchananii).
They said it was a plant native to NZ and kakariki absolutely adored it. Is that true?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject:

Acaena buchananii is a ground cover that has spiney seeds that mess up sheep cats dogs and birds....
Definately not a garden species or would I grow in our garden

Im sure there are a lot of hebes scrubs in Europe...and a species of milk thistle Puha)...very important in diet.. I know that id in Europe..
A NZ kakariki breeder was visiting a breeder in Belgium. and he asked "what is puha" it was pointed out in his backyard as a weed with the dandilions.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject:

Yep, I know of Puha.
Trouble is, living in a city like me, even common weeds are rare. Specially clean and not polluted ones.
The weeds I have in my garden are: bamboo ( "gift" from the neighbours)
Stinging nettle, ground elder ( please PLEASE tell me kakariki love ground elder ) and wild strawberry.

The strawberry probably was planted by the previous owner of our house.. but it crawls all over the place now.

funny things.. weed... actually everything you have growing in a place you dont want it to grow can be defined as weed.

I discovered earlier today that I can order for forgotten eatible plants and flowers online and have them sent to me by mail. Someone with a farm in Groningen ( netherlands backyard) grows them, cuts them, and sends you a mixed salad once a week if you like. Eatible flowers, weeds, plants pushed through my mailbox. KEWL
<v>
Opibear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Carrying on from the original thread...

I've made this aviary http://www.bettaliving.org/DIY/Detailed_plans/Aviary/p1.html which was very easy to follow, and especially easy to clean.

p.s - my canaries go crazy over puha, and I'm sure it makes their yellow plumage more vibrant Think

Aviary2011.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.09 KB
 Viewed:  143 Time(s)

Aviary2011.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: