Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - MICE!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

MICE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirt9707

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: MICE!

Hi all!
i have recently discovered mice in my bird cage!!! i obviously cant put bait in the cage so i have put it in a shed that is about 3 metres away from it... are the mice harming my birds or effecting the food they eat? ( as the mice tend to eat some of the bird seed). and how can i control them more effectivly so my kaks aren't affected??

Thanks!
Think [/b]
squirt9707

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject:

oh i should also mention they go into the boxes as well so i make it a fortnightly jb to clean them out except for the one my kak is in...
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject:

What size mesh ( wire) have you got. In our avairys the wire we use is 13mm x 13mm. We have it obviously on the sides, also on the roof of the avairy then on top of that some plastic corrigated sheets and also on the floor then we cover it with chippings.
Can you see where they are getting in.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject:

Mice eat huge amounts of seed...they are expensive.
Mice have been known to nest in a nesting box with kakariki.
They are likely to attack young chicks
They carry worms and other nasties in their droppings

We used to have a mouse issue yrs ago, other than the odd one thats turns up nothing due to regular maintance, if their presence is known or not.....MAINTANCE is the secret.
We have 17mm mesh...stops large mice, but smaller , they go in the flight, have a feed, too big to get out, and make a nest in the flight.
Friends have 13mm same.

Generally mice borrow in....or out.
Hence why kickbaords 200 to 300 mm above ground level and same below......usually stops, does stop rats.
Rats nest away from food sources...they go hunting, mice nest close/next to their source....BUT as a 'family expands their terrority expands, and families multiply very fast.....So if u have mice the chances are they have expanded to your flights.

Inside flights live mouse traps ..the ones that tip and/or the cray fish pot type, baited with peanut butter and chocolate (or cocoa mixed in)
Around the avairy, rat poison blocks...not whole blocks, 1/4 blocks about 1/4 to 1/2 " cube.

Then around the house , buildings, sheds, under the house, in the roof, and around the boundry.
A a bloxk disapears, replace it.....when it stops disapearing no more mice...takes them 4 to 6 days before dieing.
1 nibble is enough to kill.

The grian type piosons are good for spreading over a wide areas, like a shed floor, but have not been as sucessful or effective as blocks.

When the mice are gone, you will definately notice having to top up far less seed each week...espec the sunflower.

Rodent maintance has been covered before.... run a forum search for something like know your enemy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject:

im pretty sure mine is 13mm so they cant get in there... but they get in at the back.... my cages back has got sheets of tin screwed onto a frame. they seem to get through those holes in the tin... because you now how the tin has a wave sort of a pattern.... well they get through them...

i will try the blocks as you have suggested... and the mice poo does not harm my birds does it... because these mice would have eaten some rat bait so does the poison go through the mouses body and end up in there poo???

yes there was at least 5 in my cage last night... as i had no other choice but to wet the bottom of the cage as they dont like water and get them out...... but of course that is only a temperary thing but i just hated the thought of mice in my cage!!! i will do a big clean out today including the boxes as i hate the thought of mice in there!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
they seem to get through those holes in the tin...

This it the logic ppl make the mistake of making...prevention of getting into flights.....no
do the basics sealing but dont get carried away...too much work, effort and disapointment.
Take a different approach...create a 'vaccuum' in your property, section.
If they ar outside your boundry pegs,e not in your sheds buildings home or flights.
The secret is maintance/prevention, not "oh I have a mouse, must do something Shocked "

Quote:
and the mice poo does not harm my birds does it...

Well as I mentioned above, it can carry disease, worms etc, thu on the occassions we have had mice it has not been an issue

Quote:
eaten some rat bait so does the poison go through the mouses body and end up in there poo???
duno
We have had dead mice in flights, sometimes for days ....and poo, never had an issue, even in the early days yrs ago when was a common occurance, headache for several yrs.

Dont even bother chassing out, or even cleaning till u have spent a couple weeks of laying bait....maybe a few crayfish type traps in the avairy.....
Father in law yrs ago often caught 3 to 7 in 1 trap in 1 night.
Withing 4 to 5 days of laying bait/replacing....and u will learn the best places very quick, you will see huge results.

Get the results, baits not being taken, then have clean down....no piont chassing and cleaning, then turn your back and they are there again.

Most intensive time of maintance is early spring, less in summer, intensive early thru late autumn.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject:

thankyou steptoe... i knew it wouldnt do much to wet the cage but it got them out for a couple of hours.... i just HATE the thought of mice in my avery!

its amazing that the kaks or any other bird responds to the mice.... is this normal?

my birds are healthy so far... i did end up putting blocks down in the shed ( which i have mentioned is two - three metres away) and i hope this stops them.

i really cant put the blocks out into the open as i have a dog which would most likely eat it... but i thought i might put a long piece of poly pipe down behind the cage and put a block in that so my dog cant get it.

i did clean out my cage today and out of the six boxes i have there were two mice which my dog immediatly killed and to my suprise i found a mouse on the ground absolutly soaked ( possibly from when i wet the cage the night before) and sick so i got rid of that too...

i read the forum on mice and rats and i did notice a pile of seed shells with alot of mice poo around them which i quickly swept up...

so now ive just got to wait and see if the blocks help because i have heard that we are in somewhat of a mouse plague which is worrying... it could possibly take longer to irradicate the mice but i will try.

i dont think i will worry about sealing the cage as mice will always find a way to get food.

in my avery we have hangers that feed the birds but they still seem to find away into them... any advice on how to prevent that?

thanks!
squirt9707

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject:

oh and one more question... we are nearing winter so do the mice die down a bit anyway because im sure they dont like the cold but i could be wrong...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...' All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: