Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - lutino and Golden Yellow
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

lutino and Golden Yellow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichoup29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: lutino and Golden Yellow

Could you tell me what are the mother and the father colour to have lutino baby and also Golden yellow
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject:

Bonjour taichoup!

w3c to the forum

The golden yellow (a.k.a goldcheck, a yellow bird with black eyes) is a combination of dominant + recessive pied genes.
So to breed a yellow bird you need either 2 goldcheck birds, 1 goldcheck x 1 split, or split x split pairs.
Apparently the best solution is to breed goldcheck x goldcheck , as with partially green birds I have read that the offspring tend to show more random green feathers.

The lutino mutation in kakariki as far as we know is in fact a combination of cinnamon + fallow or goldcheck + fallow.
But I have not bred fallow so far so it's better that other members tell you how to arrange the pairs.
My guess is that the best solution is to use goldcheck split fallow parents.

If you speak French I suggest you visit the following sites, there are some kakariki breeders that might help you
http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/klubdukak/
http://calopsitte.forumactif.com/

Feel free to ask any questions!

(I have deleted the other thread so that we continue the conversation here)

Greetings / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
tailofdog
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: LUTINO PURCHASE

Just purchased a Lutino Cock bird for more than i wanted to pay. He is 18 mo old and will be delivered monday. I want to breed Lutino's, BEC and GOLDCHEEKS. I am sure part of the reason he was sold was he was not breeding.
I don't have a lot of experience with KAK'S but, it seems as if some breed quickly and some sit there. I really want to breed this bird! Is theway to just run hens by him until 1 clicks or is there a point that you feel a cock bird won't accept any hen?
Thank's Think
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:

It is the hen who invites the cock bird....on very rare occassions the cock bird maybe interested in another hen.
That can cause a problem if that other hen is not interested...occassionally happens.

Quote:
He is 18 mo old and will be delivered monday........I am sure part of the reason he was sold was he was not breeding.

Could be right...but do u know if that breers force pairs or community pairs? Very often forced pairing doesnt work, I have been very frustrated over the yrs, communitry breeding is far easier....give him 3 or 4 females , 3 or 4 nesting boxes and there will be a pair up somewhere there.
The othe issue is u do not know what diet hes been raised on...parents diet, and what diet since...this has a huge influnce of even a hen choosing him, his conditioning, and that not even considering his fertility.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: community breeding

Thank's
Good advice. I have one cinnamon hen in a 3.8 meter conventional aviary that is ready to breed i will try first.
She ended up there after i put a second hen in a goldcheek aviary. The cinnamon started to display straight away but, the cock bird just bit her neck and plucked her tail feathers. He is fine with the new hen but, that does not mean they will breed.
I am getting 2 more aviaries later this week and trying to free up 3 more. I have some young hens and will get more. Winter will be approaching and i want to have a good crack at it.
Thank's again.
BTY
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
3.8 meter

3.8 x what....recon you could put a folding partition in there nps ..1 1/2 of the partition becomes the door between the 2 flights.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: WALK IN

Steptoe wrote:
Quote:
3.8 meter

3.8 x what....recon you could put a folding partition in there nps ..1 1/2 of the partition becomes the door between the 2 flights.

It's a convential aviary. 3.8 x 2 H x 2 W sounds like another good idea.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:

If it is a wooden frame, just use 3 or 4 4"x 1' ply tags screwed to the frame to hold in place.

our breeding flights are about 2M wide x 1.5M deep, 2m h..birds are more than fine, and about a week after the chicks leave the nest, they are moved to a larger holding flight wher there are at least 2 or 3 older single males who finish weaning them off.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Metal

No it's a metal aviary so, it would require a different setup.What type of folding partition do you use?
I was always worried about wooden aviaries! Are they fine for kak's?
I have aviaries built buy custom aviary people but , if i could use wood i would have a crack myself at some.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject:

kings crimsons kakariki grass parrots wood is fine.
I use 2"x 2" borac treated pine.
Can still make up a wood partition.....I have folding so can fit thru the doors, with 1 1/3 or even 1 /3 hinged for a door....and if fixing to steel use a rivet to fix the wood/or Aluminium tab to steel and screw to the wood frame

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: LUTINO AND CINNAMON

Well i had luck with my Lutino Cock breeding 4 beautiful and strong Lutino babies. He was paired with a Cinnamon hen.
Now the guy who sold him to me said the Cinnamon hen had to be split to Lutino or this would not hav happened. Now i know that in Recessive inheritance Hens can be split but, What do you feel the out come would be for a Lutino X cinnamon without being split. I guess i am trying to findout if Cinnamon is the best to pair with Lutinos. angel
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Hello tailofdog,

From the observations I made in my own breedings the Lutino is not a true Lutino but a combination of Cinnamon and Fallow. This fits nice with your breeding result. The cock is a combination of Cinnamon and Fallow and the female is a Cinnamon split to Fallow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: